Rails page caching with multiple domains same vhost

Discussion in 'Ruby/Rails' started by nicksnels, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nicksnels

nicksnels New Member

Hi,

I have multiple domains running from the same vhost. I have enable page caching in Rails to speed things up, but Litespeed isn't serving these caches. Below is an example to explain the problem. Suppose I have three domains running from the same vhost: www.a.com, www.b.com and www.c.com . Now when somebody visits www.a.com the directory /vhost/public/www.a.com gets generated. When somebody visits www.c.com the directory /vhost/public/www.c.com and so on. But Litespeed doesn't look in these directories but instead only looks in /vhost/public. How can I change this? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

You need to customize the rewrite rule under the rails context.
  3. nicksnels

nicksnels New Member

Found the rewrite rule under the rails context, I tried the following rule:

RewriteRule ^/public/index.html ^/public/%{HTTP_HOST}/index.html [L,R]

But that didn't do it. Are there standard rules for this, since Litespeed already looks for cached pages when there is only one domain. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick
  4. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

I think it should be

RewriteRule index.html /%{HTTP_HOST}/index.html [L,R]

context level rewrite rule will remove rewrite base from URL.
  5. nicksnels

nicksnels New Member

Ok, I found the correct rewrite rule. But I have encountered two problems:

1. when there is no cached file Litespeed returns file not found. It should however instantiate Rails so that a cached file can be generated
    2. http://www.a.com/file/show/1 gets redirected to http://www.a.com/domain_name/file/show/1 . But I don't want my visitors, nor the search engines to see this new redirected url.

How can I solve these two issues? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick
  6. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

1. test if the file exists or not with rewrite condition
    2. remove 'R' flag.
  7. nicksnels

nicksnels New Member

Ok I got it. Only problem left is when I request www.domain.com/ . Right before I get to the rewrite rules of the rails context, I get:

[REWRITE] strip base: '/' from URI: '/' in the logs

so now I have to match an empty string. I want to redirect www.domain.com to www.domain.com/www.domain.com/index.html . Is this possible? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick
  8. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

"^$" is a pattern for empty string, it should work exactly the same as non-empty string when you compose the rewrite rule.