Random 503 errors with LS admin

subBlue

Since upgrading to LS 3.x we've been getting intermittent 503 errors when trying to access the LS admin area. We're currently running LS 3.1.1-ent on one server but also get it with the latest standard version on another machine.

In general we've also found the admin takes much longer to appear first time with v3.x (which I guess is due to some of the YUI JS libraries).

The 503 admin errors don't seem to affect the websites, but I do have to manually restart LS from the command line before I can get back into the admin. I find once I have the admin up I don't get the 503 errors while I'm logged in, it just seems to be the initial request before logging in. Finally, it only seems to happen about one in three times I access the admin.

I don't really know how else to go about finding the root of these problems. Any suggestions?

Platform is CentOS 4.2 on both machines. One box is a dual cpu (with the LS-ent) and the other a single processor.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Maybe the prebuilt PHP does work well on your server? You can try to replace lsws/admin/fcgi-bin/admin_php with a PHP binary built from source.
Or, it is related to the new PHP 4.4.7 release. We have not heard this problem from other users yet.

subBlue

I should have said that I've noticed this problem since the first version of LS 3 we tried v3.0.3 so it might be a PHP issue if this has changed since v2

What is the best way to build a newer admin_php binary from source, are there any specific features it should be built with?