[Solved] NFS and LiteSpeed

netjess

Hello,

I have setup an NFS server to hold site files, I have two LiteSpeed servers with a load balancer and would like to use NFS rather than rsync to keep them the same.
The NFS server seems to work fine. I cann SSH into either of the web servers and create files from the CLI.

When I try to modify the VHOST to use the NFS mounted folder as the site root the admin UI gives me the error "*file /var/www/conf/sitename/vhconf.xml does not exist. Please create manually".

Then I look at the server log it has the following:
--------------------------------
[192.168.1.2:54372-0#_AdminVHost] [STDERR] PHP Warning: is_file() [<a href='function.is-file'>function.is-file</a>]: Stat failed for /var/www/conf/sitename/vhconf.xml (errno=13 - Permission denied) in /usr/local/lsws/admin/html.4.0.20/classes/ConfValidation.php on line 627
The NFS share is mounted as /var/www/share
I am attemting to use the site as follows:
/var/www/share/sitename/
/var/www/conf/sitename/vhconf.xml <-- keeping the conf xml local.

I have tried to chmod and chown the folders to allow www-data access.
for the folder /var/www/conf/
drwxrwxr-- 3 www-data share 4096 2011-07-08 17:01 conf

I am not sure abot the part of the error "192.168.1.2:54372-0#_AdminVHost".
192.168.1.2 is not my IP or the IP of the web server. where is this comming from or is it not an IP?

Thank you,

webizen

192.168.1.2 (internal IP) is the client IP. The error message indicates that NFS client (webserver) has no write permission to files on the NFS server. make sure folder /var/www/conf/sitename/ should be writeable by www-data.

[192.168.1.2:54372-0#_AdminVHost] [STDERR] PHP Warning: is_file() [<a href='function.is-file'>function.is-file</a>]: Stat failed for /var/www/conf/sitename/vhconf.xml (errno=13 - Permission denied) in /usr/local/lsws/admin/html.4.0.20/classes/ConfValidation.php on line 627

netjess

192.168.1.2 is not my workstation IP or the IP of the web server (it is the IP of my proxy).
Also /var/www/conf/sitename/ is a local path on the web server and not the NFS share.

I do not understand why it would be attempting to reference the proxy IP in a write attempt. I am doing all of this logged into the admin interface If I can loginto the admin UI why wouldn't it execute a change?

netjess

OK, just for giggles, I tried using Firefox with no proxy setings to log into the admin UI. It gives the same error even though Firefox is not using the proxy. So I still have not clue how it is getting the 192.168.1.2 IP.

netjess

Well, I really don't believe that it should be referencing my local IP as the source for a mkdir request. I added the following to the /etc/exports file on the NFS server:
/share 192.168.1.44(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 192.168.1.2(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check).
restarted NFS.
This still failed.

Last edited:

webizen

it depends on your local routing table as to why your local IP is used as source.

Regarding permission issue, create test file in /var/www/conf/sitename/ (which is local on the web server) as www-data from CLI and see if it works. i.e., run below as root

cd /var/www/conf/sitename
su -c 'touch test' www-data

cd /var/www/share/sitename/
su -c 'touch test' www-data
Regarding your nfs share setup, you should have the IP for your webserver IP listed as client instead of 192.168.1.2 (end user).

Last edited:

netjess

About the NFS setup I do have the web servers IPs in there. I just added my local IPs since it appeared it was attempting to write as if from there.

/etc/exports:
/share 199.204.136.47(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 199.204.136.48(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/share 192.168.1.44(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 192.168.1.2(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
----------------------------------------------

Regarding testing www-data account, do you know what password I would use or do I need to reset the password for www-data account? Isn't that account auto generated when you setup the web server?
Thank you.

webizen

Regarding testing www-data account, do you know what password I would use or do I need to reset the password for www-data account? Isn't that account auto generated when you setup the web server?
If you run the command (i.e., su -c 'touch test' www-data) as root user, you should not be prompted for password.

netjess

regarding the lsadm account. could I just add that account to a group I created for permission to the folder or would that have some advers impact? or should I just chmod and add the permission?

webizen

vhconf.xml is supposed to be created by lsadm. lsadm user should be able to create files under /var/www/conf/sitename. lsadm should also be in the web server group.

netjess

I sent you a PM.
Thank you for your help. Is there a writeup or KB article on how to setup a NFS repository behind LiteSpeed servers?
I did some searching but couldn't locate anything.

webizen

LSWS has no knowledge of NFS. Just make sure NFS share has the same ownership/permission as if it is local file system: admin web user (lsadm) has ownership and write permission to the config files.

# ls -ld /path/to/lsws/conf
drwx------ 4 lsadm lsadm 4096 Jul 10 12:47 /path/to/lsws/conf/ # e.g. /usr/local/lsws/conf