"Web server automatically restarted"

Discussion in 'General' started by MikeDVB, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MikeDVB

MikeDVB New Member

I got this email:
    "At [23/Feb/2010:00:02:39 -0500], web server with pid=3028 received unexpected signal=9, no core file is created. A new instance of web server will be started automatically!"

It happens from time to time on cPanel servers such as when somebody is adding/removing add-on domains etc...

Well this time it didn't restart - I logged into the server and issued a restart and LSWS wasn't running (and as such it only fired up a new instance of LSWS).

This was on 4.0.12 - I just now (after this incident) upgraded to 4.0.13 - is this something that was perhaps addressed? The change log is vague at best.
  2. nolnet

nolnet New Member

This has been happening to me as well twice today in fact. I had to login and manually start LSWS.
  3. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

If it still happen with 4.0.13, I may need to login to the server and take a look what exactly happened.
    Maybe cPanel killed all lshttpd process with signal 9(sigkill).
  4. MikeDVB

MikeDVB New Member

It only happened once, and then we decided to go ahead and upgrade to 4.0.13 but we do get the occasional message that Signal 9 was received (but it always restarts).

5. Tony

Tony Member

It's being triggered by safeapacherestart from cPanel I believe.

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/safeapacherestart_log

You get this:
    Code:
    [2010-02-23 23:57:58 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Restart elapsed seconds: 1
    [2010-02-24 00:03:04 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Restart elapsed seconds: 0
    [2010-02-24 15:05:14 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Restart elapsed seconds: 1
    [2010-02-24 15:14:00 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Restart elapsed seconds: 1
    [2010-02-24 15:40:18 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Forced restart elapsed seconds: 5
    [2010-02-24 15:43:27 -0600] info [safeapacherestart] Restart elapsed seconds: 2

Possibly this maybe:

Forced restart elapsed seconds: 5

They're forcing it by kill -9 ?

Seems to only happen when dealing with sub domains, add-on domains and parked domains. Creation of accounts no signal 9.
  6. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Do you know where is the safeapacherestart script located, we need to check the script and find a way to avoid "Forced restart".
  7. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/safeapacherestart It's not a script, it's a compiled program.
  8. Tony

Tony Member

It might not be the safeapacherestart script triggering it it's tough to say. I see graceful restarts issued so it looks like its doing originally what it's suppose to do. I don't know would it be looking for specific output from Apache to confirm it was a graceful restart? Lsws is not sending that in the output so it's assume it's not restarting and is issueing a kill instead?
  9. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Please check /usr/local/lsws/logs/ap_cmd_param.log for log entries around that time.
    I need to know what command issued by WHM to restart httpd by that time.
  10. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Please download and upgrade to the latest build of 4.0.13, this issue should have been addressed.
  11. Tony

Tony Member

Still seeing the signal 15's here :( I guess our servers are to high traffic for their own good.