Where are litespeed's default error page templates ?

Monarobase

Hello,

I would like to translate the default error pages (404, 403, 500, 503…) as they are confusing for our customers who don't speak English. I would also like to remove all external links from this page.

Can I do this ? Will they be replaced on each update ?

If this is not possible, is there an option to remove the whole "Powered By" section (to just keep the "404 Not Found" message).

Thanks

Monarobase

I've currently got the following :

ErrorDocument 424 /424.shtml

# 500 - Internal Server Error
ErrorDocument 500 /500.shtml

# 501 - Not Implemented
ErrorDocument 501 /501.shtml

# 502 - Bad Gateway
ErrorDocument 502 /502.shtml

# 503 - Service Unavailable
ErrorDocument 503 /503.shtml

# 504 - Gateway Timeout
ErrorDocument 504 /504.shtml

# 505 - HTTP Version Not Supported
ErrorDocument 505 /505.shtml

# 506 - Variant Also Negotiates
ErrorDocument 506 /506.shtml

# 507 - Insufficient Storage
ErrorDocument 507 /507.shtml

# 510 - Not Extended
ErrorDocument 510 /510.shtml
If I change any of these, it will remove the ability for my customers to edit their own error documents from within cPanel.

I'm looking for an option to remove the "powered by" + link to litespeed then to actually edit the template.

NiteWave

Administrator
just now I tested native virtual host,
for ErrorDocument,
virtual host setting override server's setting;
.htaccess setting override virtual host's setting.

so it works as expected ... but not test cPanel yet.
will test it later. let's move forward step by step. :)

NiteWave

Administrator
just now tried in our lab's WHM/cPanel, the behavior is same as native vhost -- ErrorDocument in .htaccess override lsws's default 404 error page.

it will remove the ability for my customers to edit their own error documents from within cPanel
also tried on one user account, :2083, "Error pages" works. although if there is ErrorDocument in .htaccess, .htaccess will override it.

can you confirmed the issue ? if so please inform the steps so that we can reproduce the issue quickly.

Monarobase

Cpanel's got an error page editor which relies on the error pages being in the default place. If i was to change the default place users would have to manualy add lines to their htaccess file.

If I add a global error document I will break this feature.

I dont want users to have to edit their htaccess file, it want to keep the existing functionality without the link to your website.

I would understand if this was enforced on the free version but please make it possible to hide the powered by litespeed section on the paid version.

I know you have been promissing this for years and have never done it, but please increase the priority of this feature and get it added some time soon.

We just need to remove the link to your website without breaking any cpanel functions.

NiteWave

Administrator
I did more tests, googled and followed
http://blog.ninjahawk.net/whmcpanel-how-to-have-server-wide-custom-error-page

So I assume you "add a global error document" also done by
'WHM Main >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Include Editor'

short summary of my tests on apache and litespeed regarding ErrorDocument:
1. when adding a global error document, "it will remove the ability for my customers to edit their own error documents from within cPanel."

actually same for apache.

2.both apache and litespeed has hardcoded error message.
sample of apache's default 404 page:
Not Found

The requested URL /aadasdasds567.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at 192.168.2.101 Port 8080
3.not sure if there is a way to remove apahce's hardcoded error message page unless changing its source code and recompiling. (I don't search much or read the apache source code, so please correct if wrong)

4.the request can be addressed in 2 ways:
A. litespeed add a feature to replace the hardcoded error message;
or
B. when error happen, if server level error page defined, litespeed will return the server level error page eventually instead of hardcoded error page.
B looks more reasonable, and enhancement to apache. though not 100% compatible with apache in this point.

Monarobase

We would be happy with the following error message :

Not Found

The requested URL /xxxxxxx.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Litespeed/4.2.2 (CentOS) Server at 192.168.2.101 Port 8080
Apache allows you to hide the version number so when the version number is hidden it should be :

Not Found

The requested URL /xxxxxxx.html was not found on this server.

Litespeed (CentOS) Server at 192.168.2.101 Port 8080

We just want to remove the link and the "legal" message you add because you don't want people to think you are responsible for the content. Surely if you say Litespeed Web Server instead of Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server then there wouldn't be any confusion and you wouldn't need "LiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!".

Litespeed adds the link and the legal text compared to the Apache version, all I would like is an option in the litespeed configuration pannel to make it's default text on the same model as Apache's, just changin "Apache" for "Litespeed" and not having a link.