compile error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

The config.log file also says ./configure: line 3423: g++: command not found and configure: exit 77. Whether or not I try to compile with the lua option it can't seem to find gcc. The OS is OpenVZ 6 with a 2.6.32 kernel on Ubuntu Server 16 and GCC 5.4.0. I just compiled luajit. So gcc seems to be working. Is GCC not being recognized because it's an old version? It is the latest version possible with OpenVZ 6. I tried chmod 0755 on usr/bin/gcc but that didn't help. I could try to compile on my home system which is Ubuntu 19.04 and gcc 8.3 but I don't know how to manually install the software on the VPS afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a redhat/fedora package. I cannot seem to find an ubuntu equivalent with apt search gcc c++.

I added the repo but the version is 1.4.49 instead of the current 1.5.3 and I don't see a version compiled for Lua. I want a version I can use with both Lua and Python. If I just wanted to install the vanilla package the default install.sh script works fine for me, but then how do I add Lua and Python support?

Ok I managed to compile openlitespeed 1.5.3 with lua support by first installing g++, zlib1g-dev, and libpcre3-dev or rather apt install g++ zlib1g-dev libpcre3-dev. Just for the benefit of anyone reading this with a similar problem. g++ is the ubuntu equivalent to the gcc-c++ redhat package.