Installing Wordpress with a remote MySQL server

Hey all,

Sorry for my n00bness here. Run a website on Rackspace Cloud and we have huge events where the site will get hammered. Even by selecting the largest Rackspace instance (16GB RAM) we will still crash. After doing some research it sounds like caching, load balancing and Litespeed are my answer.

I created a new instance with Litespeed installed on Ubuntu 10.10 server. Uploaded my Wordpress site to the DEFAULT directory. Changed the wp-config file to point to the internal address of the first server for MySQL and made sure that the firewall was allowing all traffic. However, I'm still getting a 'could not connect to database' error on my Litespeed install.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple here... I thought maybe it was a PHP compile thing, so I tried to compile PHP 5.3.6 but keep getting errors. Here's what it shows (the end at least):

mysql_config not found
configure: error: Please reinstall the mysql distribution
**ERROR** Could not configure PHP build

But I did install MySQL... So, dunno.

Thoughts? Am I just missing something simple?

Thanks,

Benjamin Higginbotham
Spacevidcast.com

I believe what you're looking for is:

Code:
Command 	'./configure' '--with-litespeed' '--with-config-file-path=../php' '--with-zlib' '--with-zlib-dir=..' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=..' '--with-png-dir=..' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-bcmath'

add
--with-mysql
to rebuild php 5.3.6
Saw that and did a rebuild. Still didn't work. Turns out that you have to edit the my.cnf file, edit the address that MySQL is bound to and then make sure that skip-external-locking is commented out. Did that and I got a remote connection. Awesome! Needed to tweak a few plugins to point to the right MySQL database, and now I'm good there. The homepage loads on the new web-only Litespeed instance.

Only one problem remains that I can see. The .htaccess rewrite rule doesn't appear to be working. I logged in to the Litepeed demo site and looked at how they had their server set up for Wordpress and copied that as best I could. But I'm still 404ing with my permalink structure. Also tried adding my .htaccess rewrite rules in to the virtual host rewrite tab, but that didn't seem to work either.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Benjamin Higginbotham
Spacevidcast.com