Litespeed + cPanel/CybperPanel

Hello community,

I have 5 WordPress websites running on a Linode with AlmaLinux 9, LSWS Site Owner and LS Chache.

What's really important for me is performance. That's the main reasons why I haven't used any panel before and instead adjusted everything in native Litespeed Virtual Hosts and command line tools of the OS.

For easier administration and convenience, for example backups for each site individually, and allowing other people than just myself doing some admin tasks I'm considering cPanel or alternatively CyberPanel. I'm no expert at all and it would be a difficult project for me. I just don't want to spent days of work just to find out that it's not a good idea in the end.

Is there any experience / best practise for migrating from such an existing LiteSpeed setup to a panel solution? Any known pitfalls to be aware of? Any hints on cPanel vs CyberPanel? What about site performance with a panel solution? And what about costs?

Sorry for the cluttered scope of my idea/question but maybe someone has something. :)

Cheers,

Eric

*bump*

I'm trying once more.

I am a paying Litespeed customer with multiple LSWS licences. I always try to keep my installations as simple and slim as possible which is why I didn't use any Control Panel before. Now I want to host multiple websites which I do not administrate myself on a server with LSWS. My concern is what would need to be done to do this securely, mainly that whatever malicious things might happen to one website/virtual host doesn't affect other websites/virtual hosts on the same server or the whole server itself.

I thought a good solution would be a control panel as these things mainly exist to conveniently host multiple websites.

As CyberPanel did not manage to introduce support for AlmaLinux 9 one and a half years after release and there's no sign it will be available in the future I had to rule out CyberPanel because I simply do not want to go back to AlmaLinux 8 a couple of months before its end of active support.

So I've tried CPanel and it was a rather unpleasant experience so far. First it installed an excessive amount of stuff that I'll never ever need, then the first mail I got from CPanel was a hint to update it because among the excessive amount of stuff that I'll never ever need was stuff that had security issues... The whole CPanel bloat consumes more server resources than several of my average websites... Most of the time I've been following Cpanel's sparse documentation I ran into issues sooner or later. I saw more error messages than imo should appear in a product I pay for that I'm just trying to set up by thoroughly following the official documentation. It's extremely frustrating to spend much effort to remove/disable stuff that I would never have installed in the first place. Why do I need to run stuff on Crapache just to switch to the software I acually want to use. Just one example among many other issues, Cpanels official docu suggested not to use iptables firewall with AlmalLinux 9 and instead to use nftables. So I uninstalled iptables. Then at another section the official docu suggested to use CSF, which is based on iptables, so I had to re-install it again. Then after installation of CSF clicking the CSF menu item in Cpanel always end in a 503 error.

Sigh, I simply would prefer to avoid the use of any control panel. But how to securely host multipe websites without? What could be done in Litespeed to improve security? Would that be enough? I' m aware of Litespeed's documentation but the security topics are spread all over it.

I'd really appreciate any hint.

Last edited:

Unique_Eric

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
As you may know, LSWS is a web server, there are not many features like a control panel that have, including a system firewall. Here's the common security feature that LSWS supports if you are interested. The guide is for cPanel, but you can still get those features with native LSWS.