litespeed plus rails memory usage

I am not an advanced user, and am somewhat confused about memory usage. I have a server machine with 2 gig RAM that only runs litespeed version 2.2), nothing else. I have about 20 virtual hosts, and about 10 rails webapps, 5 of which are kind of big. When I start the server, and look at the Real Time Report, vmstat reports free memory of about 1600000. A day later, this has dropped to 1477948. And, over time it continues to drop, usually down to 800000 or so. This seems like a lot of RAM use for only a few virtual hosts and webapps.

My first question - why is free memory dropping from that show right after startup? What, exactly is getting instantiated to use up this RAM, (that is not already instantiated on startup)? Why does the free memory never rise back up as garbage collection takes place? Occasionally I see it rise a bit, but not much. Is there any tuning that I should be doing with litespeed that I don't know about? Also, I'm concerned about a memory leak in my applications, but I'm not really sure how to test for it. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Shelby