Problem configuring APC or Zend Optimizer on Mac OS X installation

Hiya:

I'm a Litespeed newbie and trying to get up to speed.

I have installed the latest download on a Mac OS X 10.3.9 (client) machine and am able to successfully administer it and use it, both with static files and PHP.

When I attempt to install either APC or Zend Optimizer, though, I get 503 errors on .php pages.

I have used the installation instructions found on the Wiki and attempted some of the fixes found on this forum (i.e.: in the php.ini file, use the extension_dir = directive instead of the provided extension = directive that includes a full path) and still no luck.

I get nothing in the error files, but when I (gracefully) restart Litespeed when either of these extensions is in the php.ini file, Mac OS X does register a crash. Here is an example crash report:

Host Name: Sandbox.local
Date/Time: 2006-10-21 11:24:21 -0700
OS Version: 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: lsphp
Path: /usr/local/lsws/fcgi-bin/lsphp
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 3228
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: lsphp Undefined symbols:
_OnUpdateBool
_OnUpdateInt
_OnUpdateString
_compiler_globals
_core_globals
_executor_globals
_sapi_globals
_sapi_module
_zend_block_interruptions
_zend_compile_file
_zend_ini_boolean_displayer_cb
_zend_unblock_interruptions
_zval_used_for_init
I'd appreciate any insights that anybody might have.

Thanks.

\dmc

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
Is /usr/local/lsws/fcgi-bin/lsphp php binary the one you custom compiled or the one that came with our installer package? You cannot used APC compiled for another PHP version with active one. The PHP version number must match exactly.

Pre-compiled PHP

I'm sorry, that's a detail I shouldn't have left out: yes, it's the pre-compiled PHP that comes with the installer. I just ran the installer and then tried to load APC and/or Zend Optimizer, without making any other changes.

Thanks.

\dmc

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
And how did you install the APC extension? Via our litespeed installer?

The php binary that came with LiteSpeed is version PHP 4.4.4. To correctly install, please download the PHP 4.4.4 source code from www.php.net and then

1) Use our wiki guie to compile/install PHP 4.4.4 with PHP-LSAPI 2.3
2) Download source for APC and follow wiki instruction to get the correct APC module for PHP 4.4.4.

The problem looks like the APC extension you are using is not compiled/designed for OS X.