Best PHP Handler for APC

semprot

For a busy website, which one is the best PHP handler that i plan to use with APC in term of performance and security (i read that DSO can leave a hole if one of the script has a bug) ?
Is it suphp / dso / fcgi / cgi ?
I asked this because i think my latest PHP upgrade caused my previous php handler selection to be lost, and i can't remember what handler that i used.

Code:
myusername@mybox [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --current
Available handlers: suphp dso fcgi cgi none
DEFAULT PHP: 5
PHP4 SAPI: suphp
PHP5 SAPI: suphp
SUEXEC: enabled
RUID2: not installed
myusername@mybox [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --available
Available handlers: suphp dso fcgi cgi none
PHP4 SAPI: cgi
PHP5 SAPI: not installed
SUEXEC: available
RUID2: not available
Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

NiteWave

Administrator
> Is it suphp / dso / fcgi / cgi ?
in fact these are terms / concept in apache way.
litespeed's solution is lsapi php --- lsphp

your current vBulletin heavily use APC variable cache, which is shared by all the php process which start / stop frequently, and you have several accounts each account has its own website, the only way is lsphp + suExec demon mode.

you can try XCache too --- which may be better than APC in your case, in both performance and security. Security-wise, APC's variable cache can be viewed / read by all accounts, while XCache have the feature which one account can only its own variable cache.

since you've only 1 busy website which is far far busy than others, you can have it run lsphp-5.3.27 and other still run lsphp-5.2.17 like before. the configuration actually easy -- refer https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...unning-multiple-versions-with-a-control-panel

your lsphp-5.3.27 and lsphp-5.2.17 already built ready, so just need a few minutes(if familiar with it) to configure it, since only the busiest website run lsphp-5.3.27 suExec daemon mode, so apc variable cache can't be read by other accounts.

semprot

> Is it suphp / dso / fcgi / cgi ?
in fact these are terms / concept in apache way.
litespeed's solution is lsapi php --- lsphp

your current vBulletin heavily use APC variable cache, which is shared by all the php process which start / stop frequently, and you have several accounts each account has its own website, the only way is lsphp + suExec demon mode.

you can try XCache too --- which may be better than APC in your case, in both performance and security. Security-wise, APC's variable cache can be viewed / read by all accounts, while XCache have the feature which one account can only its own variable cache.

since you've only 1 busy website which is far far busy than others, you can have it run lsphp-5.3.27 and other still run lsphp-5.2.17 like before. the configuration actually easy -- refer https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...unning-multiple-versions-with-a-control-panel

your lsphp-5.3.27 and lsphp-5.2.17 already built ready, so just need a few minutes(if familiar with it) to configure it, since only the busiest website run lsphp-5.3.27 suExec daemon mode, so apc variable cache can't be read by other accounts.
1. how to check whether lsphp is being used? any ssh command to do that?

2. about xcache i will try it.

3. about 5.3.27 & other 5.2.17 why other websites are set to use old version? to reduce memory usage? i use PHP 5.4 now.

Thank you.

NiteWave

Administrator
run "top -c" or "pstree -p", you can see many lsphp5 process, it's the php handler.

> 3. about 5.3.27 & other 5.2.17 why other websites are set to use old version? to reduce memory usage? i use PHP 5.4 now.
it's to separate the busiest website(or account) with others, easier to manage. you can focus to tune lsphp-5.3.27 and be sure to affect only the busiest site and won't affect others. some old php script may only work with php-5.2.x.

if php script compatible with php 5.4, that's good to switch to it.

semprot

run "top -c" or "pstree -p", you can see many lsphp5 process, it's the php handler.

> 3. about 5.3.27 & other 5.2.17 why other websites are set to use old version? to reduce memory usage? i use PHP 5.4 now.
it's to separate the busiest website(or account) with others, easier to manage. you can focus to tune lsphp-5.3.27 and be sure to affect only the busiest site and won't affect others. some old php script may only work with php-5.2.x.

if php script compatible with php 5.4, that's good to switch to it.
Thank you this far i see no script error on some domains that use 5.4. So i'll stick with it. Current performance is good now.