Best PHP Handler for APC

Discussion in 'PHP' started by semprot, Oct 20, 2013.

1. semprot

semprot Well-Known Member

For a busy website, which one is the best PHP handler that i plan to use with APC in term of performance and security (i read that DSO can leave a hole if one of the script has a bug) ?
    Is it suphp / dso / fcgi / cgi ?
    I asked this because i think my latest PHP upgrade caused my previous php handler selection to be lost, and i can't remember what handler that i used.

Code:
    myusername@mybox [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --current
    Available handlers: suphp dso fcgi cgi none
    DEFAULT PHP: 5
    PHP4 SAPI: suphp
    PHP5 SAPI: suphp
    SUEXEC: enabled
    RUID2: not installed
    myusername@mybox [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --available
    Available handlers: suphp dso fcgi cgi none
    PHP4 SAPI: cgi
    PHP5 SAPI: not installed
    SUEXEC: available
    RUID2: not available

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

> Is it suphp / dso / fcgi / cgi ?
    in fact these are terms / concept in apache way.
    litespeed's solution is lsapi php --- lsphp

your current vBulletin heavily use APC variable cache, which is shared by all the php process which start / stop frequently, and you have several accounts each account has its own website, the only way is lsphp + suExec demon mode.

you can try XCache too --- which may be better than APC in your case, in both performance and security. Security-wise, APC's variable cache can be viewed / read by all accounts, while XCache have the feature which one account can only its own variable cache.

since you've only 1 busy website which is far far busy than others, you can have it run lsphp-5.3.27 and other still run lsphp-5.2.17 like before. the configuration actually easy -- refer https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...unning-multiple-versions-with-a-control-panel

your lsphp-5.3.27 and lsphp-5.2.17 already built ready, so just need a few minutes(if familiar with it) to configure it, since only the busiest website run lsphp-5.3.27 suExec daemon mode, so apc variable cache can't be read by other accounts.

3. semprot

1. how to check whether lsphp is being used? any ssh command to do that?

2. about xcache i will try it.

3. about 5.3.27 & other 5.2.17 why other websites are set to use old version? to reduce memory usage? i use PHP 5.4 now.

Thank you.

4. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

run "top -c" or "pstree -p", you can see many lsphp5 process, it's the php handler.

> 3. about 5.3.27 & other 5.2.17 why other websites are set to use old version? to reduce memory usage? i use PHP 5.4 now.
    it's to separate the busiest website(or account) with others, easier to manage. you can focus to tune lsphp-5.3.27 and be sure to affect only the busiest site and won't affect others. some old php script may only work with php-5.2.x.

if php script compatible with php 5.4, that's good to switch to it.

5. semprot

Thank you this far i see no script error on some domains that use 5.4. So i'll stick with it. Current performance is good now.