restarts automatically to fix 503 Errors

Hi,
I sometimes get this message emailed to me
"LiteSpeed Web server cpanel.xxx.com on cpanel.xxx.com restarts automatically to fix 503 Errors"

This email occurs when I run some indexing software (not on the same machine as litespeed) that requests lots of pages from the server. It downloads about 10,000 files / hr.

I have recently upgraded from a 2 to a 4 cpu license. I've got 4 cpus for litespeed to work with.

When I go to my web server and look at the load in 'top' its getting up to 8 at peak periods. This is about the same performance as when we had a 2 cpu license. I think its around this load that I receive the 503 error emails.

I think its utilising all 4 cpus. In Cpanels 'Process Manager' I see 5 x litespeed (lshttpd)

If I go to litespeeds 'realtime log viewer' the average amount of requests / second is about 150 and the average amount of requests in-processing is about 30.

Is this too much for my setup of litespeed to handle?

What can I do to help it out?

webizen

if EAProc WaitQ in real-time stats stays close to 0, then litespeed is fine. As the pop-up of auto fix 503 error stats:
A "503" error is usually caused by malfunctioned external applications and a web server restart can often fix the error temporarily. If enabled, the server will restart automatically whenever there are more than 30 "503" errors within a 30 seconds span.
so you should look at error_log and see what (likely php script) caused 503 error and why.