Daemon Mode & LSWS 5.3 PHP Auto Configuration

I'm interested in using the new PHP Auto Configuration feature, in which external apps and PHP handlers no longer need to be configured. My server is running LiteSpeed Enterprise 5.3.

According to this entry in the litespeed wiki, you use the new PHP tab in the Web Admin console to adjust the configuration. However, I would like to use Daemon Mode, and according to these instructions, you do the following to set up Daemon mode:

To set up Daemon mode, set Start By Server to Yes and Run On Start Up to Yes (Daemon mode) under WebAdmin console > Configuration > External App > your_external_application.
The problem, though, is that the new PHP tab has no place to set "Start By Server." Without this option, how do you set up Daemon mode? Or is it necessary to configure External Apps in order to use Daemon mode?

Also, how do you check to see if Daemon mode is actually working?

Thanks!

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use cpanel? If so, LSWS will automacically configure for ea-php or cloudlinux alt-php handlers.

Detached mode and process group mode are recommended. any reason you want to set to daemon mode?

Detached mode and process group mode are recommended. any reason you want to set to daemon mode?
Thank you for your help. Actually, I'm brand new to LiteSpeed, and am not very familiar with the different modes and their strengths. I read this wiki article describing the different PHP process modes, and it only listed three: 1) ProcessGroup mode 2) Daemon Mode and 3) Worker Mode.

When I installed the cPanel plugin it loaded in Worker Mode, probably because I had tried a trial copy on the server several years ago and was experimenting with the settings then. The performance under Worker Mode was disappointing, so I switched to Daemon Mode and noticed a dramatic speed increase. I haven't tried Process Group mode, and I can't find anything explaining the performance benefits of Detached Mode over the other modes. I see that it is a recent addition, as described here.

My server is primarily used for a fairly busy Xenforo forum, as well as a number of Wordpress sites, one of which gets substantial traffic. Which mode would you recommend for my purposes?

Thanks for helping out this noob. :)

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
LiteSpeed will use process group mode as default for cpanel. Actually PHP mode is not key game changer(you have no need to worry about it), lscache is.

I would suggest you keep everything installed as default, but enable cache for your wordpress site and xenforo, you will see huge performance gain.

You can use WHM cache manager to enable cache for wordpress installations:
https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...speed_wiki:cpanel:whm-plugin-lscwp-management

For xenforo:
https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php/litespeed_wiki:cache:lscxf

LiteSpeed will use process group mode as default for cpanel. Actually PHP mode is not key game changer(you have no need to worry about it), lscache is.

I would suggest you keep everything installed as default, but enable cache for your wordpress site and xenforo, you will see huge performance gain.
Thank you for your help!