Compling PHP messes up my server

iUnknown

I've just found that I shouldn't really need to compile PHP because the "Build Matching PHP Binary" actually did work. The reason I thought it didn't was because I thought it was missing a few on the phpinfo() page I made showing the modules... infact it was just missing '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs'...... obviously, because it's not apache.

I originally thought compiling php again would fix the problem I am having here:

http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/showthread.php?p=12403#post12403

Now this is even more puzzling because both apache's PHP and litespeed's PHP contain the same modules... so that shouldn't be a problem... What could be causing this?

iUnknown

I mean that it increases server load to far too high for the server to cope... takes a while to return to normal after me stopping compiling (or atleast closing the webpage with the compiling going on).

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
compiling will cause high CPU utilization, so server load will be definitely higher. Same is true if you rebuild Apache with easyapache. Just do that due your off-peak hour.

iUnknown

Yeah but I don't expect exim, ftp etc. to all go down and server load over 100? Of course it will increase server load, but apache update only increases it a little, not by 100...?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Must be something wrong the PHP binary created, you can try restart over. Put LiteSpeed on another port to make sure everything work properly, then let it take live traffic.

First of all, that has nothing to do with compiling litespeed. Second of all, have I not explained my situation enough already? I am already running litespeed and this is how I have found that one of the website's PHP files don't work... by going to that site on :2080. From what I've seen, all other websites work fine on :2080, and HTML files work fine on this "problematic" account... just the PHP files.

Is there a phone number I can call for support? I just found now that so many PHP files on my server have errors on them, but not on apache. Supposedly, the compilation is the same. It appears litespeed can't access /tmp.

anewday

Are you using any php opcode? It's not a good idea to set Apache and LiteSpeed to use the same cache folder in /tmp/

If it doesn't work, try disabling the opcode in php.ini on the litespeed side.

I don't think so. A search on a PHP info page on both litespeed and apache has no matches for opcode.

I've contacted tech support on their email address regarding this providing URLs etc.. Hopefully they will be able to help me get it up and running.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Are you using any php opcode? It's not a good idea to set Apache and LiteSpeed to use the same cache folder in /tmp/

If it doesn't work, try disabling the opcode in php.ini on the litespeed side.
As long as Apache and LiteSpeed setup in the similar way in regard of PHP suEXEC, it is fine to share the opcode cache. If LiteSpeed has PHP suEXEC while Apache does not, it may cause trouble.

They either both or neither have php suexec..... PHP works fine mostly... it's one account that it doesn't work on at all and with PHP sessions it's getting "permission denied" when trying to access /tmp.

Also, I have found on apache (this is resolved with a reboot of apache through cPanel/WHM) that randomly it sometimes shows peoples pages as connecting to /home/randomuser/tmp ... the randomuser isn't even the user that the files/hosting account is on... I don't know why that's happening.

anewday

I don't think so. A search on a PHP info page on both litespeed and apache has no matches for opcode.

I've contacted tech support on their email address regarding this providing URLs etc.. Hopefully they will be able to help me get it up and running.
Do you see eaccelerator, apc, or xcache?

I didn't use them, but I see them as options when compiling PHP. My problems are resolved now anyway, resolved by email. I won't need to compile PHP manually, doing a matching PHP binary thing would be fine.

Thank you to everyone for contributing.