apache suphp to litespeed lsapi php suexec

What kinds of problems would I be looking at if switching from Apache 2.2.11 with cpanel suphp, to litespeed lsapi php 5 with suexec and openbasedir protection? Does v.4.0RC1 use suphp instead of suexec?

closet geek

If your clients use php.ini's to change default PHP settings these will no longer work and will need to be converted to .htaccess php_flag/value directives.

I am not entirely sure how LiteSpeed handles folders that under mod_php would have to be 777 but under suPHP are only allowed to be 755. Perhaps these all need to be changed back to 777 (which would be a nightmare).

LiteSpeed will never use suPHP. It's not being actively developed anymore and cPanel basically maintain their own branch of it. It's also slllllooooow.

Loading a default Gallery installs front page 1000 times with a concurrency of 6 with Apache 2.2 and suPHP takes 13.4s, on the same equipment with LiteSpeed 4.0RC1 it takes 0.5s (this includes eaccelerator which you can't run on suPHP).

Tony

I am not entirely sure how LiteSpeed handles folders that under mod_php would have to be 777 but under suPHP are only allowed to be 755. Perhaps these all need to be changed back to 777 (which would be a nightmare).
Incorrect the reason mod_php requires 777 folders for things like an upload folder is because PHP does not run as the user. With suPHP or LiteSpeed's phpsuexec implementation the php script is running as the user so it is not necessary. suPHP gave errors about 777 due to some settings you can set for security.

closet geek

Incorrect the reason mod_php requires 777 folders for things like an upload folder is because PHP does not run as the user. With suPHP or LiteSpeed's phpsuexec implementation the php script is running as the user so it is not necessary. suPHP gave errors about 777 due to some settings you can set for security.
I had my suspicions but didn't want to give incorrect advice as we're currently only trying LiteSpeed out on a mod_php server.

Thanks for your help so far. Now, what about the option to build matching php from the whm plugin? Is that a viable option if I am currently using suphp? And, does that option include matching the current version, PHP 5.2.8?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Thanks for your help so far. Now, what about the option to build matching php from the whm plugin? Is that a viable option if I am currently using suphp? And, does that option include matching the current version, PHP 5.2.8?
Yes, it is what it does.

LiteSpeed will never use suPHP. It's not being actively developed anymore and cPanel basically maintain their own branch of it. It's also slllllooooow.
Can you elaborate on this one?

suPHP 0.7.1 released - 2009-03-14

Not completely dead.

And phpsuexec is the one that went EOL.

Last edited: