Major Problems

VortMax

Two days ago we started getting 503 errors and all of our websites went down on our server. It happens in the afternoon and was only able to be dealt with by restarting the litespeed service. Today I got about 100 emails from the server with the message:

LiteSpeed Web server ***** on ***** restarts automatically to fix 503 Errors

I had to disable litespeed and restart apache to get the websites back online.

What in the heck is going on? No updates to the server recently...No new software installed etc.

There are about 300+ lsphp5 processes from days/weeks/months ago that appear to still be running but not doing anything.

HELP!!!!

Since upgrading to 4.0.9 we have had several crashes due to innumerable instances of lsphp5 left running. In fact, I just came here today to see if this was a known issue.

Help!

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Are you using control panel? or everything configured from lsws web console natively?
If possible, please PM me a temp root access, I will check what is going on.

Well, I had to do something quick because it was causing problems with the sites that I host... so I fell back to 4.0.7 and so far, so good. I realize this doesn't help you troubleshoot but, as I said, I had to fix it ASAP and this weems to be working.

VortMax

mistwang,
Does 4.0.9 fix issues with 4.0.6 that would cause all of the processes to not remove themselves if a script was not timing out properly?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Well, I had to do something quick because it was causing problems with the sites that I host... so I fell back to 4.0.7 and so far, so good. I realize this doesn't help you troubleshoot but, as I said, I had to fix it ASAP and this weems to be working.
Understood. You may want to go back to 4.0.6 as the 4.0.7 release may have random 503 problem.

I don't think 4.0.9 will make difference on this, but it is recommended to upgrade to 4.0.9 .
Apparently I spoke too soon. The problem manifested itself again running 4.0.7 ... and once again I had to restore databases that were corrupted when lsphp5 consumed all server resources and caused MySQL to crash.

I will see about setting up a temporary root account for you so that you can investigate what is happening on our server.

robfrew

VortMax:

Are you having the same problems as DoubleTap? Runaway processes? Try disabling eAccelerator from php.ini and I bet it will all go away. In my other posts on the thread eAccelerator vs Xcache, I've been discussing how eAcc doesn't work with PHP 5.3 but that they released an update a few days ago that should work. So I've been testing it and what I have found is that after a few hours, my lsphp processes hang and I start seeing a load average of around 200.00. I have to use pkill -u {name of user process here} to kill all the hangs and restart. This sounds like a similar issue you are all having. I had to disable eAcc to resolve the issue. This sounds like it may not be a PHP 5.3 problem after all, it may be that the latest versions of LSWS are not working with eAccelerator any more.

Last edited:

VortMax

We installed lsws on our server back in april (a new server) - we had been running it previously on another server without issues (and eAccelerator). The server was OK (except for the darn 403 errors with mod_security) until last week when the server started to slow...Had very many processes that never closed. Once we deleted them the server would OK for about a day then it lsws would stop responding...They recommended that I use a cronjob to remove them at night which I did and all has been OK but I will take your advice and see if it stops the problems.

We installed lsws on our server back in april (a new server) - we had been running it previously on another server without issues (and eAccelerator). The server was OK (except for the darn 403 errors with mod_security) until last week when the server started to slow...Had very many processes that never closed. Once we deleted them the server would OK for about a day then it lsws would stop responding...They recommended that I use a cronjob to remove them at night which I did and all has been OK but I will take your advice and see if it stops the problems.

Can you give me an example of what sort of cron script you guys are running to kill your errant processes? That may be the temporary fix that we are desperately needing here.