.htaccess doesn't work

pizzaman

lsws 2.2, set to use httpd.conf directly. Everything else works nicely, except .htaccess from all virtual host. lsws error_log shows that .htaccess were detected, but it just refused to work. Something as simple as basic authentication such as:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthUserFile "/home/user123/www/admin/.htpasswds"
require valid-user

doesn't work and only results in 401 on the browser.

Now I'm reverting back to apache just to wait til this is resolved. Hope someone can point me to the right direction.

Thanks.

pizzaman

Oh, well well. I guess almost all customers use that kind of double quote in their .htaccess so I guess I better be waiting ... :)

Thank you mistwang.

pizzaman

Well, not quite there yet.

Switching to lsws still shows 401 without asking for authorization.

This is on latest 2.2.1 and the .htaccess file in question look simply like this:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthUserFile "/home/username/.htpasswds/admin/passwd"
require valid-user

Changing AuthUserFile location to be inside user's public_html doesn't help.
Apache works ok with this .htaccess and there are many .htaccess files
that look similar to this in the servers.

Thanks.

pizzaman

Can you please post the whole .htaccess file if there are more configuration directives.
No, that's the whole thing. Apache works ok with that file.
Lsws just reports 401 and the log says:

x.x.x.x - - [12/Sep/2006:21:20:33 +0700] "GET /path-to/admin/index.php HTTP/1.1" 401 396 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6"

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
OK, the bug has been identified and fixed.
The reason is the customized error page for 401, the authentication header is lost when LSWS perform a internal redirection. I will PM you when a package available for you to try.

Thanks for your bug report.