503, but no logs, or explanation...

I'm getting this error, and a 503 page, but no other logs...

2009-05-24 15:45:21.296 [NOTICE] [96.25.25.71:10237-0#forms-redirect] [uds://tmp/lshttpd/forms-redirect:_.sock] Request in process stage, fail with 503

I'm trying to set up a rails app with the ez context, but isn't this a general concern with lsws? I don't know how to get better logging info...

Anyone know where I can look?

TIA

-Anthony

subBlue

We are also experiencing this problem. Using the beta 64bit 4.0.4-ent version for linux ( http://www.litespeedtech.com/packages/4.0/lsws-4.0.4-ent-x86_64-linux.tar.gz ). We had to manually copy the RailsRunner.rb and RailsRunner.rb.2.3 files over to /usr/local/lsws/fcgi-bin to get the rails 2.3.2 app running. However, after multiple restarts the app is 503-ing again. LS seems very unstable with rails 2.3.2!

We're currently running over 20 rails apps on this particular server so enabling the "Run on startup" option isn't good for us as all the rails apps starting up at the same time tends to freeze everything for a minute or two until everything is loaded.

Any update with LS and Rails 2.3.2 as we have a couple of sites we need to deploy very soon?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Does the 503 happen to the first request? randomly? or constantly?
Only with rails 2.3.2?

GEM_RAILS_VERSION need to be defined in the environment.rb in order to use RailsRunner.rb to run rails 2.3.2 application.

subBlue

The 503 happens most of the time - we have had the site up and running about twice in about 10 restarts. All our apps have GEMS_RAILS_VERSION defined the in the environment.rb. We're using Ruby Enterprise version 1.8.6 (2008-08-08 patchlevel 286) [x86_64-linux] on centos 5.2

The other rails apps on there are using rails 2.0.5 and 1.1.6 and no problems with them.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Does it always return 503 no matter how many times you access it? or only have 503 for the first request?

Maybe the best way to trouble shoot this is to login to your server and take a look.
Otherwise, you need to find a way to strace the ruby process that handling the request result in 503.

subBlue

It 503's all the time - although still in 1 out of about 5 restarts it will work and then doesn't 503 at all! The site will run fine via the console or webrick.

How do I go about stracing the ruby process?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Are all rails app run as the same user ID? Maybe you should increase the "Process soft/hard limit" under the rails tab.
Since it works sometimes, I think it is a resource limit problem.