client removal of .htaccess file

Can one, without server root access, delete a previously uploaded .htaccess file? The server can be accessed from the command line (e.g., ftp dot url and permissions) but the file listing displays .htaccess_bak, not the .htaccess file. At least one website states this can be done from the command line, but I'm not certain that's correct. See http://www.activewebhosting.com/faq/cgi-htaccess-change.html. I have not tried the procedure on the Active Web Hosting page and would prefer to know my options before uploading an htaccess file to a subdomain directory; I already have an .htaccess file loaded on the url "home" directory (i.e., www.xxx.com).

Does the .htaccess file physically remain in the directory where it was initially loaded? Or, does the server remove, transfer, or otherwise dispose of the file?

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
It is not something realated to LSWS, it is about permission and normally handled by control panel. LSWS won't delete your .htacess. but anyuser has ftp or ssh may do so. You may consider CloudLinux to make your server more secure and everyuser will be locked into their own cage.