Configuring ulimit

I'm trying to execute a wine command via a php script and it's failing due to their not being enough virtual memory. My server's virtual memory is set at unlimited, yet if I run "ulimit -a" via PHP it's showing at 256000.

Assuming this is controlled by Litespeed, how do I change it?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for your reply NiteWave.

I have tried increasing those values and ulimit -a does report the change, however it won't allow a higher setting than 2097151K which, surprisingly, isn't enough for my wine command to work.

I'm getting "wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory".

Is there any way to set this to "unlimited" or to exceed the limitation?

NiteWave

Administrator
however it won't allow a higher setting than 2097151K
looks this hit the 2G memory limit for 32-bit program.

Is there any way to set this to "unlimited" or to exceed the limitation?
how about set to 0: "Operating system's default will be used if the value is set to 0"

Last edited:
I tried that previously, but the default seems to be 256000 (250M), although I can't seem to find where this value is set on the server. /etc/profile only refers to root (unlimited) and normal users (200000). Is there no way to set this soft/hard limit as "unlimited" rather than having to enter a number?

Thanks

Thanks for your assistance mistwang - increasing the php memory limit does not make a difference.

Again, Is there no way to set this soft/hard limit as "unlimited" rather than having to enter a number?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
per user limit can be set in /etc/security/limits.conf,
LiteSpeed cannot set unlimited, it has to be a number, or system default.