Feature Request: HTTP-Early-Hints header

serpent_driver

I think you're exaggerating a bit. I'm a fan of Server Push myself, but Server Push won't make your site 30% faster, or slower without it. Early hints are not and cannot replace server push, as they are only hints. Nothing is actually subpoenaed. Hints only indicate that certain sources should be loaded with priority, again they should be prioritized. Whether the browser ultimately does this is up to the browser. You will therefore have to look for another way, or consider where you can save amounts of data, because only that will actually bring anything.

Hi, i am not a theoretician. On my projects first page load (and CWV metrics) slowed down now (because Server Push not working). I am not sure how big will the benefits be (but they will), which can give 103 header because i cant use it, and that is problem!

serpent_driver

I didn't say you were a theorist.

(because Server Push not working
Server Push is still supported by LSWS and it works. Firefox still supports it, but Chrome has stopped for it.

The problem with server push was, or is, that very few know how to deal with it and that was exactly the reason why Google stopped supporting it in the Chrome browser. At least the LSWS offers all possibilities to use server push sensibly. Even if LiteSpeed did support early hints, the advantage over server push is negligible because, as the name suggests, these are just hints and you can't preload anything with hints alone. The Early Hints only make sense together with the <link rel="preload"... and only together with that you achieve something similar to Server Push.

The Early Hints only make sense together with the <link rel="preload"... and only together with that you achieve something similar to Server Push.
You're right! There were nuances with the Server Push, but now it's in the past (in fact) and now I don't even have the tools to check if I can make a replacement for it. May be 103 header is only hints, but in Chrome dev's blog written about alternatives, and i want to check how chrome actually implements the support for client hints, but my favorite web server does not give me this opportunity!

And I really think this is an urgent problem right now.

Use <link rel="preload".....
Of course, i using not only <link rel="preload"... tag, i even send HTTP Header "Link" with list of resources for preload from my backend, because its faster (browser dont need parse html for searching <link> tags), but this is not same compare with early send HTTP 103 code before send 200 code, whitch must be supported by my webserver!

Last edited: