Graceful restarting specific Rails app

subBlue

We are running over 20 Rails powered websites on our server. Currently when we update one of the sites we need to do a graceful restart to reload the updated app with the changes. I was wondering if it would be possible in a future version of LS to selectively restart specific apps rather than the whole server?

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
It is a possible future but will be very low on our developement roadmap priority.

Our graceful restart feature has zero down-time so the benefit of a per app restart is currently low.

Seconded

I would like to second that request for selective restarting. With a number of persistent external applications like Rails in a shared hosting environment, it's an unnecessary burst of CPU to reload all of the applications each time one of them needs to be uploaded. This is particularly annoying with a capistrano deployment for Rails. It's the primary reason I suggest to customers the use of Mongrel instead of LSAPI.

For the Ruby LSAPI, couldn't you just make a lswsctrl sighup <extapp_name>? That would be very useful. And just being able to do it through the web admin interface would be a great start.

By the way, LSWS + LSAPI is pretty amazing irrespective of this fault. Please keep up the good work.

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
LiteSpeed is usually very pro-active when it comes to user requests. The more users request something, the higher it climbs on the priority list.

mabonyi, we here at litespeed are looking for someone to contribute a capistrano on litespeed how-to/wiki. We would really appreciate it as it would help our growing Ruby user base quite a bit. If you are willing, let me know at xing@litespeedtech.com. We'll also throw a free enterprise license into the pot. This goes to anyone willing to contribute a Capistrano/LiteSpeed wiki.