Installing phpBB2 under litespeed webserver

First question, Does litespeed webserver works with a database program?
If not, then the underlying question can be ignored, else if yes I got a problem! read on ;-)

Does anyone already installed a database tool with litespeed?

I'm trying to install phpBB2 which needs to be setup through a php webpage.
if I ' m trying to do so I get the message:

phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database

Everythings is correctly configured (at the install screen).

If I do the same thing in apache2 it works correctly, it sees the mysql 4.x dbserver but litespeed does not! Anyone a idea?

The program phpSysInfo works fine, but this one doesn't use a database.

Thanx in advanced,

Stefan

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It is a PHP, MySQL problem, but not related to litespeed.

Please make sure the mysql socket is configured properly in php.ini (mysql.default_socket), check the phpinfo.php page, make sure mysql socket can be accessed by the user that php process runs as.

You probably noticed that we are using phpBB2. :)

George

yes, but.. here's what happend

mistwang said:
It is a PHP, MySQL problem, but not related to litespeed.
I saw it was no problem of litespeed, but just in case I dropped the question to be sure of it.

mistwang said:
Please make sure the mysql socket is configured properly in php.ini (mysql.default_socket), check the phpinfo.php page, make sure mysql socket can be accessed by the user that php process runs as.
Socket was good configurated, also the php.ini, due to the fact I (still) run apache I had php enable, so as it was not working with Mysql I drop the php.ini from my "apache" installation into the configured dir. of litespeed. I did a compare for some comments only the file was the same.
Only about what you told me about the user account I was not sure of, but after checking I saw it should could execute it and should run nicely. In fact it did cause all other none mysql php scripts worked fine.
Also after some changes made into the config files of php.ini I restarted the lsws through the admin panel. It didn't change things.
- So I just stopt the lsws through the init.d/lsws stop command
- killed all other admin_php and php processes in my ps -ef list.
- restartted the lsws
- added into mysql a specific user for the database of phpbb2 with all rights
- and retried the configuration of phpBB2.
- in the configuration I now used my real hostname (of the machine, not the domainname like eislon.nl)
- the script executed fine and the user for administration was made
- removed the required dirs (which phpbb2) told me too and you can feel it phpBB2 worked!

mistwang said:
You probably noticed that we are using phpBB2. :)
George
Oh is it true? Just kidding, I noticed it, but I didn't look at it in the heat of battle with the php<->mysql failure...

Can it be that the stop of lsws isn't stopping everything? That it leaves something "hanging" into memory? I should tell you straight that I didn't see anything wrong. But if I start lsws I see the processes of lsws not the php ones, they come in later, but with a stop of lsws the php processes stay in the system.... maybe all the time it was just those processes which kept hanging? Still wondering.

BTW: I'm using Mandrake Linux 10 Offical, on a 2.4 kernel (later on 2.6) with Mysql 4.01xx and php 4.3.4

Thanx again for the quick response, hope you have something of the above things... futhermore litespeed rocks on... 8)

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Thank you for the update.

For technical reason, lsws does not force php fcgi processes to stop when lsws quits under some situations. We will have this issue addressed soon. It really caused a lot of troubles.

And after changing php.ini, you just do "killall php" to make sure all php processes are stoped. Lsws will start another set. No need to restart lsws.

Thanks,
George

mistwang said:
And after changing php.ini, you just do "killall php" to make sure all php processes are stoped. Lsws will start another set. No need to restart lsws.
Thanx for the tip.
Currently I have litespeed webserver up and running the forum (at www.eislon.nl ) and it will slowly get the rest after a testing periode. It seems good and is very fast in loading the pages... good work!

phpbb install

hi all,

i need help on installing phpbb on my website.
what it is, is i fill the installation form and says :::::-----

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

;) and i don't know what to do, if u can , could u send it in pictures so u can tell me what to do, or add me in msn (Newport_Yankees@hotmail.com) and tell me step by step or just send it in flash format using -- Macromedia Captivate --, please, please, i'd be really thankful, ;)

or if not , please gaive me the information in full details, ;)

Thank you very much;)

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
Barham, the problem is as the error describes, your php application cannot connect to the database. Please make sure you have setup your database correctly and have read the phpBB installation guide in full.

This is not a LiteSpeed problem but a general php/mysql/database one.

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
Have you tried the documentation section for www.mysql.com? There are one of the most commonly used database product on the market today.

You can also search for "mysql install howto" on google.

phpbb

ok i will search in google and if i couldn't still find it, then meybe you could help me in other ways,

thank you very much for your time and help:) ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

phpbb

same problem.

i have downloaded the mysql and installed it, but still, i have the problem, could you please help me, thanks

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
This is not really the right place for your help needs. Please visit phpBB's support forums and I'm sure you will get 1000x better help than we can.