IP to GeoLocation

Dani

Since LS uses the DB why not have a function to call it from php so that I can get the country using users IP's

echo LS_ip_to_get('11.22.33.44');

Since the lite version of geo isn't 100% it would be nice to be able to check if some users have an IP that resolves to a faulty country to prevent them from getting blocked.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It has been set in the SERVER[] variables already, like mod_geoip does.

SERVER["GEOIP_COUNTRY"], etc. please check the mod_geoip manual for the name of environment variables.

Dani

It has been set in the SERVER[] variables already, like mod_geoip does.

SERVER["GEOIP_COUNTRY"], etc. please check the mod_geoip manual for the name of environment variables.

Yea I see the two _SERVER vars but they only reflect to 'my' ip, or ip that is currently calling the php. I was wondering if it's possible to manually give it an ip and get the country in return.

e.g.

echo geoip_country_code_by_addr($gi, "24.24.24.24");

taken from: http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/api/php/README

without installing the mod and having to include the geoip as LS already does this nicely for me.

Dani

You should use the geoip's PHP module instead, we do not want to reinvent the wheel in this regard. :)
heh understood, just thought LS had something other than the 2 server vars in it but since its _SERVER i can't do anything there anyway. It's a tad late to be thinking logical hehe :p thx mistwang