Is it practicle to admin Litespeed without the Dashboard?

Hi all.

I'm a web developer with a sysadmin background. I am used to setting up hosts from scratch for hosting websites. I've been installing and configuring Apache for many years. I've just started looking into litespeed, and I'm setting up a local lab server with it.

I'm just wondering: is it practical to use Litespeed without using the GUI dashboard?

I'm very used to working in the terminal. I've never been bothered by Apache not having a GUI dashboard. Is the Litespeed dashboard absolutely neccessary 192.168.0.1 router login ?

The other thing I wonder about the Dashboard: do admins remove it from production hosts? I'm wondering about this specifically because it seems like having a Dashboard on a production host provides one more vector for attempts to infiltrate the host.

Thanks.

Last edited:

serpent_driver

I'm just wondering: is it practical to use Litespeed without using the GUI dashboard?
Although you may be used to making configurations via terminal, you should first know that the LiteSpeed webserver mainly uses httpd.conf, but not completely, since the LSWS also uses its own configuration. First of all, this means that you do not need the so-called WebAdmin, i.e. the GUI of LSWS, because a lot can be configured via httpd.conf. As far as the configuration of the LSWS is concerned, things look a little different. You could certainly edit custom .conf files manually for this as well, but there are limitations. The configuration options you can see in WebAdmin only apply if you operate the LSWS without a server control panel, i.e. natively, and only in this case do you have the option of editing all available settings via the respective .conf files. If, on the other hand, you use a server control panel such as cPanel, Plesk or other CPs, most of the configuration options in WebAdmin have no function.

I don't know how good your SysAdmin skills are and I don't know your server configuration either, but at least to me it seems more advantageous to use the WebAdmin. Incidentally, access to the WebAdmin can be restricted, so you should have little reason to worry even in productive operation.

By the way, the LSWS is not the same as the OLS. Corresponding advices from OLS users are therefore only of limited use.