litespeed and apache on same server

anewday

litespeed running alongside Apache

I have Apache with Cpanel/WHM 10, is it possible to install Litespeed and make it listen on another IP without it touching Apache and Cpanel. Basically, I want to use Litespeed to serve static content (big multimedia files). Is there a way to install Litespeed as a "standalone" product instead of a replacement for Apache?

All my websites are on the same IP, served through Apache. There are 4 free IPs on the server, I assume one of them can be used solely for Litespeed? Hope they can coexist on the server without impacting one another.

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Sure, you can just create a listener for a specific IP through the web console.
Is there any specific reason why you do not want to replace Apache?

anewday

I don't want the hassle of getting php, awstats, webalizer to work and it may break some things I'm afraid which causes downtime. The only reason to do this is because apache overloads server when serving large static files. It chokes whereas litespeed can handle them very easily.

So Apache and cpanel/whm won't be affected at all if I install litespeed and set it to listen to one IP only? How do I get apache to stop listening to that one IP? And lastly, can I easily disable/unisntall litespeed if it causes issues? Thanks.

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You have to change Apache httpd.conf to use "Listen <IP>:80" instead of "Listen 80", I am not sure how to do that with cPanel.

LiteSpeed is more efficient than Apache when comes to serving dynamic content like PHP pages, it should be very easy to have LiteSpeed work exactly like Apache, everything should work just fine.

anewday

Do I need to add listeners, virtual hosts in the setup if using to replace Apache? And how much for you guys to help getting litespeed to work on my server?

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
I recommend you looking into replacing Apache completely. We have installation service for $150. but that's for replacing Apache. Not for running Litespeed along side Apache.

anewday

Ok, I only host an invision powerboard forum, coppermine gallery and a few other simple static sites. Nothing fancy required. :)