Litespeed cache for phpbb3

Hello,

Why isn't there a cache plugin or htaccess rules for phpbb3? For such a popular forum software, it is surprising that there's no love for it.

Please add one even if it's a paid extension.

Thank you

EDIT: I managed to make the solution myself and it works perfect. If anyone wants it, please PM me.

Last edited:
If you pay for the time to develop a plugin, you will get what you want. LiteSpeedtech has no plan to build more plugins.
Damn dude, why such a rough reply. I have no problem paying for a plugin like Xenforo has (Litespeed cache) if it's not going to cost a lot, probably why it is better if it's released as paid and LS can cover their costs that way than me funding it single handedly ie if they don't want to release it free.

Wouldn't this suffer from problems like these?

Random user login using Litespeed Cache

Hi everybody! Sorry for my bad english :oops:
I'm using Open Litespeed Server with Cache module (LSCACHE) , PHPBB 3.2.7 and PHP 7.2
When i activate LSCACHE, the user cookies they mix. ( other users can log with my username randomly when refresh a page )
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2517676

I don't know much htaccess so don't even have an idea what rule I'll write that bypasses cookies from caching.

serpent_driver

@NTS

Sorry, if you feel my answer is too rough for you. Maybe it is rough, but it is only the truth and the reality. There is no LScache plugin for phpbb3. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you are willing to pay for a plugin. LiteSpeed has decided not to build more plugins for other applications, so you have to find a developer who is able to build one, if you need a plugin for phpbb3.

But it could be possible to use LScache without plugin only using .htaccess rewrite rules. It can work, but you will get only rudimentary functions and it is not as fast as with a plugin. Rewrite rules are not a copy & paste solution. They are custom for every application. If you don't know much about .htaccess you have not only 1 problem.

If you really need a solution, contact me by PM, maybe we find a solution.

@NTS

Sorry, if you feel my answer is too rough for you. Maybe it is rough, but it is only the truth and the reality. There is no LScache plugin for phpbb3. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you are willing to pay for a plugin. LiteSpeed has decided not to build more plugins for other applications, so you have to find a developer who is able to build one, if you need a plugin for phpbb3.

But it could be possible to use LScache without plugin only using .htaccess rewrite rules. It can work, but you will get only rudimentary functions and it is not as fast as with a plugin. Rewrite rules are not a copy & paste solution. They are custom for every application. If you don't know much about .htaccess you have not only 1 problem.

If you really need a solution, contact me by PM, maybe we find a solution.
I know a dev who did make me a phpbb extension, however i don't know if he knows about litespeed and its caching and setting the rules for it.

Anyhow, PMed you.

If you do find someone to write your own plugin, we have some resources that may help them: https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php/litespeed_wiki:cache:developer_guide
Do you have any idea where I'd go find someone who knows litespeed and is able to help with this? The extension dev i use for phpbb excused himself and is busy with other stuff neither has the phpbb forums itself been of any help so pretty SOL.

The two places i hoped would have someone help aren't even interested which sucks. it seems the whole point i switched to litespeed from nginx is just lost. Without the lscache, there's not really that significant advantage to either webserver.

I would understand if i was using some cryptic software but phpbb is an easy and oldest software while xenforo which is newer has a plugin ‍

serpent_driver

@NTS

You already got offered what you like to get, but if you don't know basics like URLs or directories that may not be cached in phpbb you are overwhelmed with a plugin. A plugin also need such information! Why complain about Litespeed and a not existing cache plugin for phpbb if the problem is sitting in front of the monitor?

@NTS

You already got offered what you like to get, but if you don't know basics like URLs or directories that may not be cached in phpbb you are overwhelmed with a plugin. A plugin also need such information! Why complain about Litespeed and a not existing cache plugin for phpbb if the problem is sitting in front of the monitor?
How am i supposed to know the name of phpbb cookies and urls that should be excluded. The whole point of me paying you is for you to figure this stuff out because i can't.

What you're asking me is to do the work for you and then pay you for just few seconds edit. Seriously! This is xenforo, if i know the cookies name, don't you think i can edit this text myself?

# LiteSpeed XenForo cache
<IfModule litespeed>
CacheLookup public on
RewriteEngine On
# cache
RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} !(xf_lscxf_logged_in|xf_user|xf_session_admin) [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/install/ [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [E=Cache-Control:max-age=360,E="cache-vary:xf_style_id,xf_language_id"]
# no cache
RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} (xf_lscxf_logged_in|xf_user|xf_session_admin) [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [E=Cache-Control:vary=loggedin,E=Cache-Control:no-cache]
</IfModule>

And that's beside the extension that you wouldn't make which xenforo has that sets up cookies for places xenforo doesn't produce. So chances are even with the htaccess rules that you might have provided, i was still going to have issues because like Xenforo, phpbb must have places where no cookie is set but that should be excluded from lscache.

The whole thing sounded weird and i lost interest. I actually know stuff, i can't imagine what your attitude will be with people who don't even know what htaccess is. With all due respect, you clearly don't understand how to even offer your services and think the client has to do the work and also pay you lol

serpent_driver

LScache plugin for phpBB 3 (v3.3) will be available soon.

- GUI controlled via standalone application
- separate cache for not logged in users
- separate cache for logged in users
- auto purge
- high speed warmup (> 10 times faster as LS crawler)
- quick purge
- exclude settings
- TTL settings
- and much more

LScache plugin for phpBB 3 (v3.3) will be available soon.

- GUI controlled via standalone application
- separate cache for not logged in users
- separate cache for logged in users
- auto purge
- high speed warmup (> 10 times faster as LS crawler)
- quick purge
- exclude settings
- TTL settings
- and much more
I'd gladly pay for it

serpent_driver

Price will be monthly.

Cache for logged in users will not be possible. phpBB has very restrictive security policy that prevents using specific code within template, so cache will only be available for guests. I could overwrite it, but that would be against the philosophy of security of phpBB developers.

serpent_driver

I have no good news!

I just wanted to finish developing when I found out some issues with cache warmup. That means cache for phpBB can't be warmuped by LScrawler or every other script driven function that simulates URL request like curl.

- LScrawler doesn't support URLs with more than 1 query string. phpBB doesn't rewrite URLs, so most URLs have 2 or more query strings
- phpBB creates URLs with session_id if it can't open a session. This always happens if a URL is requested by cURL to warmup the cache of a URL and can't be bypassed with -c parameter or any other request method in curl request.

phpBB isn't fully compatible to work with LScache! :(

I have no good news!

I just wanted to finish developing when I found out some issues with cache warmup. That means cache for phpBB can't be warmuped by LScrawler or every other script driven function that simulates URL request like curl.

- LScrawler doesn't support URLs with more than 1 query string. phpBB doesn't rewrite URLs, so most URLs have 2 or more query strings
- phpBB creates URLs with session_id if it can't open a session. This always happens if a URL is requested by cURL to warmup the cache of a URL and can't be bypassed with -c parameter or any other request method in curl request.

phpBB isn't fully compatible to work with LScache! :(
That's a bummer.

serpent_driver

I have good news and bad news.

I found a way to make cache for logged in users available. This is the good news, but an application like a forum software have a lot of private content. Private content means a punch hole (ESI) for each content. Each punch hole reduces performance of cache. After a number of 3 holes there is almost no difference between cached and non cached pages, so it makes no sense to make cache for logged in users available.

All i really looked for is caching for guests.

But if it's going to be a monthly charge then the whole reason for using LScache is pointless as i can cough up that money towards better hosting.

Good luck regardless. I have lost hope of getting any help from this forum