Litespeed in server managed mode

bettinz

Hello,

I use Xcache on a shared hosting on my VPS. I need that the opcode memory is not shared by the account for security purpose; so I need to change from self managed mode, to server managed mode.

I've read that instances should match max connections.

So now I have:

Instances: 35
Max Connections: 35
LSAPI_CHILDREN=35

Is that correct? Because with this settings, the opcode memory is shared.

If I set LSAPI_CHILDREN, to 0, 1 or ?, the server doesn't reply (website load forever).

If I delete LSAPI_CHILDREN, the server say 503, internal server error.

I use Xcache. With self managed mode, everything works.

Thank you :)

bettinz

Thank you, but why? I mean, server managed is not a supported mode of Litespeed? And what can you tell me about shared memory with opcode? Is it a security problem if "n" sites share the same opcode memory?

bettinz

I've 4.2 on my server with LSAPI 6, I know the new feature with daemon mode. Infact in the past I've never used Xcache or any opcode cache.

The question is the security about opcode shared memory with shared environment. Because in self managed mode, i quote:

Self Managed Mode is preferred because all PHP processes can share one shared memory block for the opcode cache.
http://www.litespeedtech.com/php-litespeed-sapi.html

webizen

The environment in the quote is for dedicated (All PHP processes runs as one user). As pointed out before, you can _NOT_ use opcode cache in shared environment prior to 4.2.

bettinz

Ok, I understand. But now help me about my situation:
I've litespeed 4.2, a VPS with 30 sites, daemon mode, xcache.

Is my settings correct? 1 instance, 35 Max connections and children, xcache enabled.

Is xcache safe with this settings and situation? Sorry but the documentation is not complete in this point.

I ask that because if I load the admin file of xcache via ftp, I can see the caches file of all users in my VPS. So an user can access to all cached files on my VPS

thanks

Last edited:

webizen

Yes, your settings are fine with 4.2. that one instance is the parent to spawn/manage all the children processes. in daemon mode, xcache (and other opcode cache) is safe to be shared by PHP processes with different userid (shared environment).