Litespeed LDAP vs. mod_auth_ldap in Apache

Please confirm the following:

1) Apache supports "ldap" and "ldaps" whereas Litespeed only supports "ldap".

2) Apache uses the following authentication process:

1a> Bind to LDAP server with info configured in AuthLDAPBindDN/AuthLDAPBindPassword.
1b> Search for matching ldap record based on AuthLDAPURL and other attributes.
1c> Bind to LDAP again using the record found in 1b> and the password supplied by the user.

Litespeed appears to do the following:

2a> Bind to LDAP server with info configured in LDAP Bind DN/LDAP Bind Password
2b> Search for matching ldap record based on User DB Location
2c> Compare the 'userPassword' attribute of the record fetched in 2b with the password the user entered.

PROBLEMS:

1) We currently use "ldaps" to communicate with an ldap server that's on a different box from the webserver.
2) Per contract requirements, we need to 'lockout' a user login if invalid login attempts exceed a certain number. The apache process (1c) hits our ldap server with every login attempt - our ldap server will lock-out the account when a maximum number of bad logins are submitted. You're matching process (2c) won't be able to register bad login activity with our master ldap server.

If I can't replicate the apache process for working with LDAP, is it possible to write a custom URL/authorization program with Litespeed where I can do the LDAP magic myself (i.e. using Perl libraries)?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Do you have a simple example of a perl script that acts as a FCGI authorizer? What values should I be looking at in $ENV? What do I have to configure to get a web-browser login dialog to display to the user?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
no sample here, please check the fastcgi web site, it is standard. Basically you need to define a FCGI authorizer external app in LSWS.

Please confirm the following:

1) If you have a context setup as follows:

Realm: (empty)
Authentication Name: (empty or non-empty)
Authorizer: [VHost Level]: (program)

...then the following happens:

1a) The authorization program is invoked without any REMOTE_USER or REMOTE_PASSWORD fields.
1b) If the program returns a status other than '200', a blank page is displayed.

This functions like FastCgiAuthorizer in apache's mod_fcgi.

2) If you setup a context as follows:

Realm: (file-database realm)
Authentication Name: (empty or non-empty)
Authorizer: [VHost Level]: (program)

...then the following happens:

2a) An authentication dialog is displayed to the user until they enter credentials that match the database file.
2b) The authorization program is invoked. REMOTE_USER is set to the name of the authenticated user. The REMOTE_PASSWORD field is NOT sent. If the program returns a status other than '200', a blank page is displayed.

This functions like FastCgiAuthorizer in apache's mod_fcgi.

3) There is no way to bring up a dialog and pass the contents to a fastcgi. Litespeed has no support for FastCgiAuthenticator in apache's mod_fcgi.

CONCLUSION:

If you want to AUTHENTICATE uses at the web-server level, your only options are Litespeed's password files or LDAP implementation. If you want to use a custom authentication procedure, you have to use Litespeed as a reverse proxy in front of apache, which supports this functionality.

SUGGESTION:

Create a new Realm type called 'FastCGI' (in addition to 'Password File' and 'LDAP'). When this is selected in a context, the webserver displays a login dialog and passes the REMOTE_USER and REMOTE_PASSWORD environment variables to the fastcgi. In this instance, the cgi works like a FastCgiAuthenticator in apache's mod_fastcgi.

Last edited: