Log Alert Messaging

zoom

I was wondering if the current version of LiteSpeed has the ability to alert the administrator about potential warnings or errors as they appear in the server log? The reason I ask about this option is because I've had a few warning messages appear (cuased primarly by awstats mis configuration) which I didn't have any knowledge about until I logged into the admin panel. It would be nice if there was a way to alert the administrator via email and perhaps set the level of severity to trigger the alert.

Thanks.

brrr

That's not a bad suggestion.

But IMHO even though some sort of email alert feature might be handy, I think it's a good management/survival strategy for any web manager to check their server logs (including Litespeed web server, but also your other logs, especially error logs) on a regular schedule. Like daily at least. There's a lot of things that can go wrong on a server through failures, misconfiguration and badness. Often times the problem may also happen outside of LSWS, so no alert might come anyhow.

So it might not be a good idea to rely on LSWS to do too much in terms of active error reporting.

There are also scripts you can get - depending on your platform - that can do stuff like monitor firewall, web server etc logs and do any alerting you need. A Google search will pull up tons of them, as will a browse around eg hotscripts. Some of these may be a better solution because they may be able to alert you to stuff failing or going awry outside of LSWS that you should also know about.

My 2c.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
This can be done with third party log watch script, not need to be in LSWS core. If you find any good solution, please let us know or update our wiki. :)