LS Optimization for a VPS running multiple wordpress sites

Hello,

Here's the story: I recently purchased a ~780mb RAM VPS with WHM/cPanel. I am considering throwing on LiteSpeed. According to simple benchmarks I ran, its the clear winner.

So far, I have roughly 12 cPanel users, each with their own user account. Also, each has a Wordpress site. I want to take advantage of APC and the w3 total cache plugin to reduce server load and increase load times, on top of LiteSpeed, I think its a winning combination.

However, these sites are clients sites, and uptime is a must. So far, I have tried simply loading 10+ sites from FireFox and according to Top, this spawns so many processes that is starts using Swap. Thats very bad obviously. So it seems to me, and I could be way wrong on this, but if 10 people are on the site, the server is going to crash? That number seems silly for 14/month LS + 50/month VPS. Everytime one of the lsphp5 spawns, its using about 8-12%, which is roughly 50-70mb ram per process.

I know my way around WHM pretty well, and have been messing around with the WebAdmin for LS but I am not really sure what options will benefit me the most. Instances is set to 1, and max connections is 35. So does that mean 35 people will be able to simultaneously browse the site without the user's 1 process jumping up and requiring more ram? I also set the Memory Soft and Hard Limit to 300m. but several times I can "overload" my server and force it to use swap. Again, i've got around 780 ram, and at idle, the server Top is average only 200mb used. Sot that should only put me at 500mb total, right? Or am I not understanding this option.

Secondly, I am not sure if APC is running correctly, when I visit one of my sites apc.php, I get 1 Hit, 1 Miss, and 1 file cached. I have Database and Object cache setup in w3 total cache, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything? Is there a secret to setting up APC with LiteSpeed that I dont know about?

Right now, I just don't know what to do. My gut is telling me that ~780mb ram is a sorry excuse for a server hosting multiple sites, so the only solution is to get more ram, but I'm not quite in the financial situation to do that. Should I just give up and try out the Media Temple GS at 1/5 the price?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not stupid with this stuff, and have learned a lot recently, so I will/should be able to pick up quickly any advice given. Thanks again.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Try WP Super Cache + eAcclerator using SHM.
It is not recommend to set memory allocated to opcode cache very high. you probably did.

Is SuperCache recommended over w3 total Cache? It seems just the opposite.

I loaded SuperCache, and it appears that its not even caching anything with APC. I guess APC is configured wrong. I'll try a recompile with eAcc now.

Thanks.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
SuperCache is a simple page cache, it works and works well.
W3TC is more advanced, but difficult to get it right. We only recommend using APC when you turn off PHP suEXEC.