LSWS On VPS

IPMAN

HI, I am looking at adding litespeed to my vps which has 2GB of RAM, How much will litespeed better the vps over the standard optimize apache which i currently have installed?

I am currently consuming about 700MB of RAM at present, Will i see this drop a little maybe around the 512MB mark?

I use this VPS for shared hosting, Shared, Reseller, I manage it correctly aswell, Am just looking to add alittle more performance and lower my footprint on the node.

Would the 500 Connection limit on the VPS license cause any issues?

Narrowing down to whats on the VPS their's currently about 40 websites on it, Nothing database driven as such, Just basic static websites which are for some local designers, But i can see some more heavy stuff in future hence am wanting to optimize things alittle better.

Awaiting your kind reply's.

NiteWave

Administrator
you can install a trial version to watch 15 days before deciding purchase.

apache will still be there, and you can switch between apache and litespeed by one click. You can run apache and litespeed at the same time too --- with an port offset. for example, apache listen to port 80 while litespeed listen to port 2080.

I think your memory usage will drop a lot(maybe 50+%) when switch to litespeed based on what your described.

IPMAN

you can install a trial version to watch 15 days before deciding purchase.

apache will still be there, and you can switch between apache and litespeed by one click. You can run apache and litespeed at the same time too --- with an port offset. for example, apache listen to port 80 while litespeed listen to port 2080.

I think your memory usage will drop a lot(maybe 50+%) when switch to litespeed based on what your described.
Am not too keen running apache and litespeed together to be honest, I saw a thread where someone turned his system into mince meat.

Just keen to know how i would greatly benefit from it cost vs free?

If it will lower my memory footprint by 50% that would be great, Infact super duper fantastic :)

Last edited:
Lsws ftw

Am not too keen running apache and litespeed together to be honest, I saw a thread where someone turned his system into mince meat.
I administer approximately 150 LSWS in VPS environments along side Apache, which the cPanel plug in. Have never seen a single problem doing this - as far as 'mince meat', I think you've been given some bad advise or likely misinformed information at best. Actually running it along side Apache with cPanel is a real convenience.

If it will lower my memory footprint by 50% that would be great, Infact super duper fantastic :)
I would agree - 50% memory savings immediately, specially if primarily static sites. You'll also see your CPU usage drop by maybe as much as 50% as well. You cant go wrong - install the trial and see for yourself. You've really have nothing to lose by trying.

IPMAN

I administer approximately 150 LSWS in VPS environments along side Apache, which the cPanel plug in. Have never seen a single problem doing this - as far as 'mince meat', I think you've been given some bad advise or likely misinformed information at best. Actually running it along side Apache with cPanel is a real convenience.

I would agree - 50% memory savings immediately, specially if primarily static sites. You'll also see your CPU usage drop by maybe as much as 50% as well. You cant go wrong - install the trial and see for yourself. You've really have nothing to lose by trying.
Thanks for sharing :)

Whats the added benefit from running litespeed and apache together?

NiteWave

Administrator
in most time, should run apache or lsws only, not both.

when installing lsws at first time, running lsws at an offset port say 2080 is a safest way. firstly to ensure not to break current web service. while you can check if your web sites also works well at 2080 port. once you're sure all are working fine, then switch to lsws --- this means: stop apache, have lsws listening to port 80. later when you find some issue again, you can switch to apache or running both for trouble-shooting purpose.