Manual Php Compile with cPanel

First post here. Be nice.

I was able to successfully install LSWS to my cPanel. Looking forward for the enterprise version on a VPS.

My problem is how to manually compile Php to add all the modules I had in Apache. In Apache, I simply modify the buildscript file found in /home/cpapachebuild/buildapache/ and add all the --prefix-xxxx modules there.

With LSWS, there is a Wiki instruction about LSAPI compile but it goes through a new installation of Php which I don't have to go through since it was already installed by cPanel.

Which directory should I go in cPanel to run the ./configure command?

I was able to successfully install Litespeed. It is running my website now. If I check phpinfo(), it shows the following are running:

./configure --with-litespeed --with-config-file-path=../php --with-mysql=../mysql --with-zlib --with-zlib-dir=.. --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=.. --with-png-dir=.. --enable-shmop --enable-track-vars --enable-sockets --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-magic-quotes

If I check Config -> Server -> Script Handler in LSWS admin interface, it says that I am already running LiteSpeed API.

Do I still have to install LSAPI in the wiki separately?

If LSAPI is not yet installed, what is running my server now? How can I check?

ts77

you are running lsapi but you were talking about rebuilding php for getting your required php-modules in there.
so you will have to recompile like described in the wiki.

I suggest that you should have a newbie install faq for cPanel users. I understand you currently have a cPanel install Wiki. However, it is short when it comes to intalling php modules and APC. In as much as I want to install LSWS, the set-up complexity prevents me from doing so. After all, the objective of cPanel is to simplify the admin process to free the admin of unix set-up and focus on creating websites.

I was able to install LSWS and compile php with the new modules and run the web server with it but it messes up my cPanel. For example, I now have 15 php.ini's in server, APC install is very confusing which directory to install after installing LSAPI, php -v takes me back to the old cPanel install. The wiki is catered for general unix install but this is quite different for cPanel users.

Unfortunately without feeling good if my web server is set-up correctly or not, I have to uninstall LSWS :( until a step-by-step procedure is available.

A lot of cPanel users are not Unix experts like me. We just want to create websites and run our servers fast and easy since a lot of us now are in a VPS. I hope this is something you will consider in the future and I am sure you will win a lot of cPanel converts since your web server is one of the better alternatives to Apache for now.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Checkout one tutorial posted by a litespeed user
http://creativeflux.co.uk/entry/replacing-apache-with-litespeed/

We probably will provide a script to build lsphp more easily in the future.

LiteSpeed PHP installation is completely independant to cPanel's php installation, if you do not mix it with cPanel's file, it will make your life a lot easier. :)

You should use a seperate php.ini for lsphp, recommended file is lsws/php/php.ini or lsws/php5/php.ini for PHP5, consulting output of your phpinfo() page for the location of php.ini being used.

Hi,

I've been using PickledOnion's articles on Litespeed at http://www.usefuljaja.com/litespeed

When I first started using Litespeed I found them useful, I also think it would help with your PHP install as it includes the commands and prerequisites needed and also has screenshots of every stage of the install.

I hope that helps and it's OK to link to a litespeed article.