New licensing scheme: Questions

Under the 'old' way of doing things, one could have unlimited websites, domains, etc.
Under the 'new' way of doing things, clearly you're looking to make more $$$ by charging per domain, though allowing subdomains in free.
The problem is that not all of my subdomains are in the same account (nor should they be) . For isolation purposes, they are in their own account (will be on CWP, not cPanel shortly).
Will these still count as 1 domain, or will they be counted separately?

Lauren

LiteSpeed Staff
Staff member
Hello,

First I would like to clarify that we have never increased our price since day 1 when we released LiteSpeed Enterprise 2.0 which would require a license. At that time we called 2CPU license, now it's called Web Host Professional license, was at $46/month ($799 for owned). That's more than 10 years ago. Over the years, we have added some lower tiered licensing options with cheaper price and some restrictions, like Ultra VPS license (now it's renamed to Web Host Lite with the VPS platform restriction removed). We have got many complaints over the years about our licensing structure too complicated. However we are trying to make everyone happy and fit for all use cases. Last year we introduced even lower tiered license of Site Owner licenses and lowered to $10/month. And Free Starter license can satisfy many users on DigitalOcean, Docker. All our existing license options are still available, we also upgrade 8CPU license to X-Worker license (Web Host Elite) at same price.

If you switch to CWP, you can still do as shared hosting, you only need one LiteSpeed license for your shared server. Basically it replace your Apache server, one Apache installation is equal to one LiteSpeed Enterprise install, and requires one license. Unless you want to split your shared accounts to multiple small containers, then each container will require its own Apache/LiteSpeed server. You will need more licenses for LiteSpeed.

DirectAdmin also works with LiteSpeed Enterprise and broadly used by shared hosting companies.

Best Regards,
Lauren

Last edited:
So, you don't offer 'unlimited subdomains' is what you're saying. Nor is your advertisement correct.

Every 'domain' and 'subdomain' is added as an additional vHost.... Doesn't matter the platform, doesn't matter the control panel, they're all going to be different Vhosts

I didn't ask about the pricing, nor did I complain. I asked for a straightforward answer, which you did not give me. I don't care that you haven't raised prices, that's irrelevant. What's relevant is the fact that you seem to be dodging the question, and that's not good, not in the least.

You falsely advertise 'unlimited subdomains', and say 'addon domains don't count', but that's a blatant lie. Each addon domain, each subdomain, in apache, or somewhere else has to have it's own virtualhost, it's own configuration. This means that no, you don't in fact offer 'unlimited' anything.

Please correct your false advertisement

Screen Shot 07-01-19 at 04.27 PM 001.PNG Screen Shot 07-01-19 at 04.27 PM.PNG

Lauren

LiteSpeed Staff
Staff member
Sorry I need to correct what I said. Subdomains under the same top domain is unlimited. You can give a test and check if it works for your case or not. You can have many VHosts.

Lauren

LiteSpeed Staff
Staff member
There are also no old way vs. new way, old licensing options are still there, nothing changed. We just added newer options with lowered pricing.

There are also no old way vs. new way, old licensing options are still there, nothing changed. We just added newer options with lowered pricing.
That's not necessarily true. Your resellers don't have the 'old way' up any longer ;) . However, the 'new way' is just fine. not complaining about the pricing model, just had a question.

I'm not going to let myself get into a 'try it' scenario. I won't run the risk of my businesss being down because of your licensing misinformation. I'll just take things over to nginx. Sad, because I've been using LS for years, but this whole debacle , misinformation is really for the birds.

You really need to clear up that addon domain thing, because it's not 'free'. Not by a longshot. Subdomains, maybe, but not going to put that to the test.

lclarke

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, twhiting

I just wanted to clarify. There is no deliberate misinformation here. I do think there's been some miscommunication, though.

Domain limits are for top-level domains per license. Under each TLD, you may have unlimited subdomains regardless of the number of vhosts involved. The vhost restriction is for add-on domains. You may have add-ons as long as they don't have their own separate vhosts.

I hope that clears up the confusion. We'd be happy to answer any further questions, and even modify the wording on our website, if it would help to make the rules more clear. Like I said, we don't intend to mislead anyone!

Lisa

You may have add-ons as long as they don't have their own separate vhosts.
So, you do not support free 'addon domains' . You're referring to parked domains, or aliases, most likely.

You might want to get that wording changed, because addon domains do, absolutely require additional vhosts as they are pointing elsewhere, thusly can never be free. Aliases / parked domains not so much.

Not so much worried about that part, as I have but one domain, and probably 10 subdomains , each in their own account (on CWP, not cPanel) , their own vhost. If they're not counted as a domain, then all good. You definitely want to get that wording on addon domains clarified though, since , like I said that's not 'free'. No way it can be ;)

lclarke

Administrator
Staff member
This is the definition of addon domain, straight from cPanel documentation:

"Addon domains allow you to control multiple domains from a single account. An addon domain links a new domain name to a directory in your account, and then stores its files in that directory. "

The same definition should apply in other control panels. This is what we mean when we refer to an addon domain.

This is what we mean when we refer to an addon domain
Clearly not, because you contradict that by stating they cannot be in their own vhosts. All add on domains (domains not parking to another domain) require their own vhost or configuration entry. There’s no way around that, otherwise they’d all point to the same domain

lclarke

Administrator
Staff member
I think we may have to agree to disagree here, as we are essentially just going back-and-forth on the definition of a single term.

As long as your specific situation is covered by your specific licence, and you don't have any additional questions about that, we can call this closed. If you do still have questions about it, let us know. (Given our different understanding of the terminology, some specific examples might be required, in that case.)

Cheers!

Shivam

Staff member
Hello,

I think there is a little confusion here. Litespeed does not limit the license on the number of vHosts, It only limits you on the number of Top-Level Domains having their own Directory(litespeedtech.com is a Top-Level Domain, billing.litespeedtech.com is not).

Separate vHosts are created for all Subdomains and Addon Domains on cPanel - https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+Your+Server+Handles+Domains+and+Virtual+Hosts, Check Under Section "How cPanel & WHM handles web virtual hosts" Other panels also follow the same rule(It is an Apache thing in actual).

Consider that I have a 5 Domain License and 3 cPanel accounts.
- ls1.com
- ls2.com
- ls3.com
My total domain counts for Litespeed is currently three.

Now, If I add ls4.com to the server, by creating an Addon Domain or by creating a cPanel account(Doesn't Matter, Not using Parked Domain/Aliases Feature), It will be counted as 4th Domain.

On the other hand, If I add subdomain.ls1.com to cPanel from the Subdomains Section or By Creating a New Account(Still doesn't matter), It will be counted as 3 domains only.

Now, if I have added ls4.com and ls5.com to the server using any means(Addon Domain/New cPanel Account) and my total domain count is 5, and the license is limited to 5, I cannot add ls6.com using Addon Domain or a New cPanel Account, But it can still be added as a Parked Domain/Alias, but cannot create subdomain.ls6.com since that will be a new vHost with a new TLD(Unless you add subdomain.ls6.com using Parked Domain/Alias option).

Parked Domain/Alias feature does not create a new vHost, It just adds itself as Alias to the Primary domain's vHost and is not counted for Litespeed, which only picks up a list of all the vHosts on the Server(Might as well be 1000), and check for number of TLD's against each vHost's Domain(Server Name and Server Alias both) and calculates the number of domains.

Hope this clears!

Last edited: