php/lsapi crash since 5.2.9

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Looks like something wrong with LSAPI protocol, PHP size does not like the request received.

What your setup? OS? 32bit 64bit? LSWS version? LSAPI version? PHP version?

jrmarino

The OS is opensolaris x86 (32bit)

polaris-marino# uname -a
SunOS polaris 5.11 snv_130 i86pc i386 i86pc
litespeed version: 3.3.23 std
lsapi version: 5.2 (did not work with 4.8, 4.10, 5.0, or 5.1 either)
php version: 5.2.12

Most of the testing I've done on this 32bit opensolaris (intel). However, I also tried it on 64bit solaris 10 (AMD) with the same results.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, PHP 5.2.9 was the last version that worked, so I don't think it's necessarily a lsapi thing. I am positive that if I recompiled 5.2.12 with lsapi 4.10, it would still not work.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Can you try 4.0.12 std?
Maybe it is caused by PHP changes in the build configuration for solaris, generate code with incompatible byte alignment.

What is the compiler used?

jrmarino

The compiler is gcc 3.4.3

I don't think I should upgrade to 4.0.12 to fix this problem. The reason? Because on my production site, the spawned lsphp processes are shared between 3.3.23-std and 3.3.15-enterprise. I probably could get up to 4.0.12 on the standard server (I already tried but had to drop back down to 3.3.23 due to that follow symlinks permission problem), but I am stuck on 3.3.15 on the enterprise server since my 1-year support ran out. So if upgrading fixes the PHP problem on the std server, it'll break the enterprise server. Hopefully that was clear...both servers use remote external php. The enterprise lsws balances between 2 php servers and the std lsws is actually located on one of the php servers and shares the lsphp children processes.

jrmarino

Okay, the ancient GCC appears to have been the culprit.

It basically took me all night to get gcc 4.4.3 installed on this opensolaris server, but once I did, and recompiled php 5.2.12 + lsapi 5.2, it started serving PHP right away. I'll try the same approach on the production servers.

Maybe this is a good warning for a wiki? GCC 3.4.3 is the compiler issued with opensolaris (amazing, isn't it?), so this might be a problem that someone else runs into as well.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Bingo!
That's what I suspected.
You may want to try the updated 4.0.12 package see if the symlink issue is still there, we have addressed a few related issues. The older release wont receive any bug fixes any more.