[Resolved] How to Specify Extra Headers?

One of the recommendations I get from Firebug for improving the overall performance of my sites is to specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header.

I've been looking in the online documentation and got the impression that this should be done in Context > Extra Headers, however... I am unable to locate that section in my admin console. (I did found something called Context under Virtual Hosts, but that appears to be something different.)

Can you please tell me where I should look/how I should proceed? TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so does that mean I should manually edit a particular file (rather than use the admin console)? If so, which file (and in which directory)? TIA for your help!

NiteWave

Administrator
admin console:
Code:
Server(or select one vhost)->General->Apache Style Configurations:
Header add Vary Accept-Encoding
or add to .htaccess

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick; i.e., when I check the server headers, I now see "Vary: Accept-Encoding" --however, Firebug still advises me to add the header to two resources (the HTML page itself and the CSS in an external file, but not the images on the page)... Do I need to take any additional steps, or is this perhaps just an issue with Firebug?

P.S.:

I just checked the headers with another tool, which tells me that Vary: Accept-Encoding is being sent twice, so it looks like the header was already being sent --perhaps it is an issue with Firebug, then?!? :confused:

NiteWave

Administrator
i installed firebug 1.54 too. but haven't figured out how firebug advise me about header etc. can you tell the trick?

also can you post a page's response headers showed in firebug?

This is what I do:

1) Make sure that "Net" is enabled (click on the little arrow for a drop-down menu if necessary)
2) Load a page, asking Firebug to show "All"
3) Click on the "+" sign in front of an element for details on that element, including headers and caching information!

thanks for the detail. my question is
Code:
Firebug still advises me to add the header to two resources
right, Firebug will show you all headers of a page. but how and where Firebug advise you to add which header ? :) same question for
One of the recommendations I get from Firebug for improving the overall performance of my sites is to specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header.

Last edited:
Ah, now I see what you mean! ;)

Actually, it is Page Speed that tells me to add the header --and I guess that's technically a Firebug plug-in/add-on, rather than part of FB proper... But once you have it installed, it "behaves" just like FB!

installed Page Speed ... hmm, are the advice from Page Speed->Performance->Analyze Performance?

Now I think I've got clear about this "Vary:Accept-Encoding" issue. It should be automatically added by litespeed when the page is compressed. please check the response header, if "Content-Encoding:gzip" is there. This is important for performance. Please post any 1 page's all response headers here for us to check it together.

The URL is: http://www.tafeltennis.org/

Firebug Net shows the following headers:

Content-Encoding gzip
Vary Accept-Encoding
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 11:33:42 GMT
Accept-Ranges bytes
Etag "1a7a-4bee99ba-f20186"
Last-Modified Sat, 15 May 2010 12:55:22 GMT
Content-Type text/html
Content-Length 2898

(So, yes, Content-Encoding: gzip is there, as is Vary: Accept-Encoding)

Yet Page Speed says:

Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header
The following publicly cacheable, compressible resources should have a "Vary: Accept-Encoding" header:

* http://www.tafeltennis.org/
* http://www.tafeltennis.org/css.css

As for css.css, Firebug Net shows the following headers:

Date Mon, 24 May 2010 11:33:42 GMT
Accept-Ranges bytes
Connection Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive timeout=5, max=100
Etag "5fe-4bf7d363-f20185"
Cache-Control max-age=2678400
Expires Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:33:42 GMT

(I.e., no mention of Content-Encoding: gzip or Vary: Accept-Encoding here!)

assume you installed Page Speed 1.7 or 1.8.1 beta?

css.css in my firebug 1.5.4(Firefox 3.6.3) showed the 2 headers:"Content-Encoding: gzip" and "Vary: Accept-Encoding". and Page Speed no complain lack of Vary header etc.

Just a quick update that I thought might be useful: I've just installed Page Speed 1.8.2 and the issues I reported earlier have disappeared! (So it was a problem with Page Speed, not LiteSpeed! :cool: )