unable to password protect a folder

anewday

I read the documentation and the wikis on how to password a directory. Everytime I try to access a file inside the protected directory, it returns a 403 Forbidden
Access to this resource on the server is denied!

On the logs, it shows:

[config:vhost:testchannel:context:/multimedia/] <realm> Members Only is not configured, deny access to this context

I added a realm, created a username and password, went to context and applied it to the multimedia folder. I'm stumped, spent 2 hours trying to get it to work. Do I need to create a .htaccess and/or input anything in the Rewrite section of the vhosts? :confused:

Edit: it works now that I renamed the htpasswd to .htpasswd :eek: why is the filename default without the period in the beginning?

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Maybe there is permission issue with the password file for your realm. Please double check permission and content of that file.

anewday

Turns out to be a filename issue, for some weird reasons. it needs a period in front of the htpasswd. Edited my post above.

anewday

[config:vhost:testchannel:context:/multimedia/] <realm> Forum Members Only is not configured, deny access to this context
I still see this in the log, however, the password protect folder seems to be working fine. :confused:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
If you store the password file somewhere under the document root, you should name it as ".htxxxx" to have it protected from serving as static file by web server. LSWS will not serve any file with a name like that.