Any know issue running Apache 2.4 and LiteSpeed in parallel?

I would like some help please...
I move a Perl script from a server with Apache 2.4 and installed it on my LiteSpeed server (v5.4). This perl script, it works great when I run the Apache webserver but I get 404 when I switch to LiteSpeed - I am still trying to understand why.

Whilst I was troubleshoot that issue I learned it was possible to run Apache and LiteSpeed in parallel and that is exactly what I am doing now. The Perl script is running fine as well.

However, I am wondering if there is a downside this configuration?
I am also curious to know "How does an application know whether to use the Apache webserver or the LiteSpeed server?

Thank you

scorpio

Thanks for the response @Unique_Eric,
I went through those configuration steps a few days ago but it did not resolve my issue.
I have Apache and LiteSpeed running in parallell and the perl script is working on Apache. That is why I posed the question "is there is downside to running Apache and Litespeed in parallel?

Last edited:

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
No downside. You can run apache and LiteSpeed with different port at the same time. but normally, just switch over between web server.
Do you run Native apache and Native LSWS, log a ticket with us with tmp root ssh and we can check for you.
If on cpanel/whm, perl should work out of the box on both apache and LiteSpeed.

Michael A

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @scorpio9,

To answer one of your earlier questions, the application will normally use whatever server is listening on port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS.

Running in parallel is alright but not usually advised. If you've set a port offset in LiteSpeed, for example 3, then it will take the port Apache is listening on and add 3 to it. Since Apache is configured to listen on ports 80 and 443 by default, LiteSpeed will be listening on ports 83 and 446, so by default Apache will still be serving all of your traffic which would explain why things started working again under this configuration.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion and of course we are still happy to help with your Perl issue.

Regards,
-Michael