LSWS with CloudLinux PHP Selector

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup LiteSpeed Web Server to use CloudLinux PHP selector and PHP alt. I'm following this guide(https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...el:use-cloudlinuxphpselector-on-ea4-with-lsws) but it states 'the LiteSpeed auto-installer script will add the proper external apps for both EA4 MultiPHP and CloudLinux PHP Selector automatically'

But the external app 'cl_phpselector' doesn't exist in my external apps, neither does the php and php5 in script handlers. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use cpanel ea4 + CloudLinux before and recently run LiteSpeed auto-installer script to install LSWS ( autoinstaller means this one https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php/litespeed_wiki:cpanel:auto-installer) ? What version of LSWS did you install? For LiteSpeed 5.3.x, external apps and script handlers will be automatically configured by the server and you may not need any external apps or script handlers unless you want to define yourself.

Last edited:
Hi Pong,

Yeah, We used EasyApache 4 and CloudLinux before we installed LiteSpeed using the auto-installer for cPanel. Version 5.3.6 was installed.

Should I manually add them then?

Thanks,

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
Without adding external apps and script handlers, normally it should be fine. for example, you can choose PHP version from cpanel multiPHP manager, either ea-phpxx or alt-phpxx, LSWS should automatically configure to use the right handler.

Do you have any case/domain not running as expected?

Without adding the external app and script handlers it appears to be working fine, I've checked the headers of the websites and LiteSpeed does appear to be using the correct PHP version still.

Thank You,

Jon K

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear it! With LSWS 5.3 we now have auto PHP detection so you should no longer need to configure the External Apps or Script Handlers.

I noticed the same thing with no additional external apps installed for cl_phpselector.

Does multiPHP have to be set to alt-phpxx for the PHP detection to work? Or will it auto-detect from CloudLinux PHP Selector as well?
-My setup is like this: PHP system default is ea-php71, MultiplePHP is set to inherit for users, and CloudLinux default is 7.1 - this way it uses the CloudLinux PHP Selector from CPanel.

Also, how can I confirm Litespeed is detecting the CloudLinux php properly form the headers?

NiteWave

Administrator
Does multiPHP have to be set to alt-phpxx for the PHP detection to work?
no
Or will it auto-detect from CloudLinux PHP Selector as well?
yes

your setup is correct. please refer https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...el:use-cloudlinuxphpselector-on-ea4-with-lsws

also, please disable php-fpm when run under litespeed.

Also, how can I confirm Litespeed is detecting the CloudLinux php properly form the headers?
the best way is to check it in a phpinfo page.

Thank you NiteWave.

That is doc page I was referring to, and where my confusion came from. It says those external apps are created, but it seems that is no longer accurate for v5.3+.

NiteWave

Administrator
yes, from 5.3+, those external apps are detected and created automatically when litespeed start up, just no need show up in litespeed web admin.
in fact, 5.3 added a new PHP tab, you can even empty all settings under "External App" and "Script Handler" in WHM/cPanel server.

the wiki is not updated to latest regarding this, as you pointed out.