Optimizing litespeed for high traffic

You pay for LiteSpeed web server, but the support for the cache plugin is offered at WordPress. In this forum you won't get support for this plugin. This is especially true when it comes to the cache plugin and CloudFlare.

Your performance problem is not due to the web server malfunctioning, but rather due to an overload on the part of PHP and MySQL. That's why nothing changes if you want to use a different web server.
Rather than offering assistance, suggestions, or asking pertinent server and configuration-related questions, you seem more interested in protecting LSWXperts. What's the deal? Fine, my server is trash and up and is a mess—just read and move on.

Crazy Serb

My friend
I followed the GitHub instructions and implemented the recommended changes: enabled Tiered Cache and Cache Reserve while disabling page caching in the LiteSpeed Cache plugin, as suggested by the Cloudflare plugin. Now, I'm observing a cf-cache-status HIT. However, prior to these adjustments, our Page Insights website had scores of three 100s and a 99, while GTmetrix showed an A grade with 99%. Currently, those scores have dropped to a C with a performance rating of 54%.
Considering the reduced traffic on the site, I'm unsure of the server's responsibility in this matter. Nonetheless, do you have any suggestions to improve the performance?
Don't disable anything in LS Cache on your site. Keep all the caching options turned ON.

And if you have a separate Cloudflare plugin in WP, you can disable that, you don't need it - LS Cache has its own built-in integration with Cloudflare under CDN section.

Let me know if that helps.

If not, PM me and I'll take a look at your settings and advise you from there.

p.s. Ignore anything "serpent_driver" mentions here, as he's proven over and over that he doesn't have much clue on these matters... save yourself the hassle and don't engage with him.

serpent_driver

@Empire
I'm trying to help you, but this help requires your cooperation. This cooperation requires at least that you understand that a performance problem cannot be solved by changing 3 settings on the web server. Especially not because the web server is only the data provider and can only be as performant as PHP processes the requested data and MySQL provides the data. With WooCommerce, you have chosen an eCommerce solution that is just a plugin for blog software and is therefore unsuitable for running a shop with more than 250 products. A plugin solution can therefore never be as performant as a real eCommerce CMS. If you still want to use WooCommerce, then you either have to tolerate limitations in performance or mask the known performance problems with WooCommece. Masking means that you use the cache plugin including the cache function and ensure that the cache is always warmed up. If you don't warm up the cache, then it doesn't matter what web server you use or what optimization you do. PHP and MySQL are then the main cause of your performance problem because WooCommerce causes an abnormally high server load.

A CDN or CloudFlare does not solve your problem either, especially since, as already mentioned, CloudFlare does not support many of the optimization functions of the cache plugin.

@Crazy Serb
You are known for your clever advice..... After you identify yourself as a LiteSpeed expert and @Empire wants to follow your smart advice, you should continue your conversation privately. Nobody needs advice from users who just say nonsense.

@Empire
I'm trying to help you, but this help requires your cooperation. This cooperation requires at least that you understand that a performance problem cannot be solved by changing 3 settings on the web server. Especially not because the web server is only the data provider and can only be as performant as PHP processes the requested data and MySQL provides the data. With WooCommerce, you have chosen an eCommerce solution that is just a plugin for blog software and is therefore unsuitable for running a shop with more than 250 products. A plugin solution can therefore never be as performant as a real eCommerce CMS. If you still want to use WooCommerce, then you either have to tolerate limitations in performance or mask the known performance problems with WooCommece. Masking means that you use the cache plugin including the cache function and ensure that the cache is always warmed up. If you don't warm up the cache, then it doesn't matter what web server you use or what optimization you do. PHP and MySQL are then the main cause of your performance problem because WooCommerce causes an abnormally high server load.

A CDN or CloudFlare does not solve your problem either, especially since, as already mentioned, CloudFlare does not support many of the optimization functions of the cache plugin.

@Crazy Serb
You are known for your clever advice..... After you identify yourself as a LiteSpeed expert and @Empire wants to follow your smart advice, you should continue your conversation privately. Nobody needs advice from users who just say nonsense.
I noticed your signature includes a service. What's the pricing for it?

Crazy Serb

@serpent_driver you do realize that whatever you keep claiming over and over makes no sense in most situations, as once someone's PHP and mySQL are optimized to the max, those two are not factors anymore and something else has to be looked at.

And there's only so much you can optimize those two before you have to look at other pieces of the puzzle.

And I might be talking nonsense, but me managing to get my clients from 1,000 concurrent users crashing their server in less than 2 minutes to that exact same server being able to handle 50,000 concurrent users at 300-500ms page load times and server load being under 1.0, yeah, sorry, but those results speak for themselves.

What do you got to show for all your ramblings? What sort of results in real world with real people?

Please, stop talking about stuff you clearly don't understand well and deep enough. It's ok to admit that you don't have much real hands on experience when it comes to certain things and leave it at that, but don't confuse people and send them on wild goose chase trying to tweak things that don't need any more tweaking, while telling them to ignore things that actually do make a lot of difference, just because you don't have any (or enough) experience with them yourself.

@Empire

@Crazy Serb
You're pointing out that WooCommerce might be the primary issue because it functions more like a "Blog" Plugin and might not be optimized for high-traffic eCommerce. Assuming this perspective is correct, let's explore the purpose of the LiteSpeed server. Isn't its core design focused on handling a large volume of PHP requests efficiently? Or is it tailored for serving simple static HTML pages without much dynamic processing? If WooCommerce presents complexities, shouldn't any web server—be it Apache, Nginx, or LiteSpeed—be equipped to manage it?

WooCommerce stands as one of the most robust and reliable eCommerce solutions globally, leveraging a new database table structure for improved data read and write operations. Yet, encountering issues within a LiteSpeed Server Enterprise forum despite having this powerful eCommerce platform is frustrating. The problem arises when the server becomes overloaded, especially under the strain of 5000 concurrent users. Just forget which script and plugin I am using, give suggestions, what is litespeed improvment notes. it just have some default values for general usages and not provide a complete guide or help to make it compatible with high end servers.

serpent_driver

As long as you can't or don't want to understand the connections, it makes little sense to make yourself understand. I tried to explain to you that the web server is not the cause of your problems, but you still insist that you can get your shop up and running with 3 settings on the web server. As long as you continue to think like that, no one can help you.

As long as you can't or don't want to understand the connections, it makes little sense to make yourself understand. I tried to explain to you that the web server is not the cause of your problems, but you still insist that you can get your shop up and running with 3 settings on the web server. As long as you continue to think like that, no one can help you.
Yes, you are really right. We have to warmup the cache. You also continue to warmup.
Good luck

Crazy Serb

Except for people like me, with common sense.

After a few messages back and forth we've already got his server to handle 5,000 concurrent users just fine, with that simple CloudFlare integration and LS Cache in place and properly configured.

But hey, do tell us more about how it's PHP and mySQL that are choking everything and "a few settings on the server" won't make any difference.

Except for people like me, with common sense.

After a few messages back and forth we've already got his server to handle 5,000 concurrent users just fine, with that simple CloudFlare integration and LS Cache in place and properly configured.

But hey, do tell us more about how it's PHP and mySQL that are choking everything and "a few settings on the server" won't make any difference.
And of course this was the least we did. thanks for your help. And it is better to give this friend time to warm up the cache

av_admin

@serpent_driver
You wrong!
You are totally wrong, which means you don't have any experience in Litespeed and configuration or webserver configuration, and whatever you talked about!

@Crazy Serb Thank you for optimizing my website,

For your details I'm going to explain, Crazy Serb connected to my site (wordpress dashboard) and added some config to my litespeed cache, now my site form a google page speed of 27 on mobile and desktop, now it is 97 on mobile and 99 in desktop!
this shows me he is capable of configuring and adjusting the wordpress speed, fixing the server issue, and speeding up the server too

serpent_driver

@av_admin
If you only measure an improvement based on whether the PageSpeed score improves, then you have neither understood PageSpeed nor have you solved a performance problem by improving PageSpeed. PageSpeed cannot and does not want to improve loading times. Likewise, a high PageSpeed score does not imply that your server is ready to process a high number of simultaneous requests. Changes to the settings in the cache plugin improve the display time, but not the loading time.

If you don't know what the difference is, then you should read this.
https://www.cachecrawler.com/Knowledgebase/PageSpeed/PageSpeed-Loading-Time::6568.html

av_admin

@av_admin
If you only measure an improvement based on whether the PageSpeed score improves, then you have neither understood PageSpeed nor have you solved a performance problem by improving PageSpeed. PageSpeed cannot and does not want to improve loading times. Likewise, a high PageSpeed score does not imply that your server is ready to process a high number of simultaneous requests. Changes to the settings in the cache plugin improve the display time, but not the loading time.

If you don't know what the difference is, then you should read this.
https://www.cachecrawler.com/Knowledgebase/PageSpeed/PageSpeed-Loading-Time::6568.html
Like I said, You're wrong...
We cheek the staging stress in my site and server, and we got a very good score but seems you don't know what the optimization is

serpent_driver

After being on the linked page for only 19 seconds, you can't be expected to have read, let alone understood, what PageSpeed is all about in that short time. That's why you can be called an ignoramus. Even the "Crazy Serbian" took the time to learn something new.

Crazy Serb

Like I said, You're wrong...
We cheek the staging stress in my site and server, and we got a very good score but seems you don't know what the optimization is
As I said, ignore him. He's just trying to convince you that whatever is working well for you isn't really working well for you and you have no idea what any of that means... until you maybe hire him to "warm up your cache" or something.

We got your site loading in no time, with only a few Litespeed and server tweaks, passing all tests with flying colors.

The other person I've been helping here went from server choking with 4-5,000 concurrent users to the site loading perfectly fine at 300-400ms for 5,000 users with no change in server load, again, with a few tweaks here and there.

But let's hear it from some joker how PageSpeed or Litespeed Cache or any of that doesn't matter, because it's "your PHP and mySQL, bro!" that you should worry about....

p.s. @serpent_driver I read your ramblings on that page and it was cute, really cute little article. Still doesn't change anything, doesn't help anyone, has zero hands on / real life application for anyone who reads it. But you keep patting yourself on the back for "knowing" what's up... all good, bro. You keep telling people what you think is wrong with their servers while I'll keep helping them actually get instantly measurable, real world results.

av_admin

That's why you can be called an ignoramus.
How dare you?
I'm not, but you are! you are so fool

The page speed has 2 sections and stupid people like you never understand what are they and why they are there.

@Crazy Serb
I asked for help many times from litespeed cache plugins, but they failed :D
and you did it, Thanks for everything you did for me for nothing, with no cost, this is it,

He is trying to seal his product for litespeed webserver

To optimize LiteSpeed for high traffic, a comprehensive approach encompassing server configuration, caching strategies, and resource management is essential. Follow my given steps

Firstly, enable LiteSpeed Cache to efficiently store website content and enhance page load times. Set up purge rules for automatic cache clearing to ensure timely delivery of fresh content. Optimize browser cache to minimize redundant downloads of static resources. Enable Brotli compression to reduce data transfer size, thus improving page load speeds. Fine-tune Cache Time-To-Live (TTL) values based on content update frequency. Review and optimize PHP settings, including memory allocation and timeout values, to boost performance. I follow the same practice to optimize the homepage of my website.

Regularly monitor server resource usage, such as CPU, RAM, and I/O, to identify and address potential bottlenecks. Implement a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to distribute content globally and reduce latency for users worldwide. Conduct load testing to simulate high traffic scenarios and preemptively address potential performance issues. Lastly, ensure regular updates for LiteSpeed and its plugins to benefit from the latest performance enhancements and security patches.

Last edited:
@Crazy Serb @Empire, guys, change
GZIP Compression Level (Dynamic Content) to 1 and Brotli Compression Level (Dynamic Content) to 2, then test your server performance. Nginx, by default, use compression level =1, thats it. And after tests you can little raise this up to 3, more just no impact with compression time => download speed time in most cases.